Enter Anne

Rowan hadn't slept all night, how could she? Ian's and Haider's and all the others' words kept cycling through her head. The buzz of excitement. She hadn't felt that since she was little. A childish little adventure lay waiting in those tapes. A mysterious forest, strange creatures, bugs turning into men, missing tapes. What all could have happened in this little town? In this house?

She shifted uncomfortably on the air mattress. Sun poured in through the window. It had to be at least noon, but Rowan had no desire to get up. What would she do? She had just listened to the beginning of the most amazing story she had ever heard. One she would have given anything to be a part of a decade ago.

A decade ago.

"I sound like mom," Rowan groaned, sitting up. She cracked her neck loudly as she walked downstairs. The smell of microwaved eggs and potatoes and ham along with the most vile coffee wafted up the stairs. She hadn't missed that.

"Ah, morning Ro!" Her dad called. He sat on the couch, which was really the only piece of furniture there. Apparently he had gone through the effort of setting it up solely so he could be lazy. Amazing how that works.

"Morning dad. Where's the mother at?"

Gene sighed loudly. Content, but loudly. "She's outside. Someone put a huge pile of sticks on our back porch."

That wasn't what she was expecting. "Sticks?"

"Some as thick as your arm, which isn't saying much."

"Genetics."

"Ya got thin bones from me. But yeah, she's outside right now."

"And you're just sitting here letting her clean it all up?"

Her dad looked offended. "No. I cleaned it all up. She's outside eating her diet breakfast. She nuked one for you, too."

"I smell," Rowan chuckled to herself. Her dad looked at her, slightly concerned, but Rowan smiled warmly at him. "I'll pass. Actually, I think I'm going to go exploring."

"I'll tell Lynn," her dad smiled back. "This got anything to do with those  reels? How many have you gone through?"

"Three of the seven."

"Impressive."

"Thanks. Yeah, I'll be back soon, though."

"Stay safe."

"I generally try to."

Rowan grabbed her purse off the floor and headed outside. The town was a lot prettier than the suburbs, she could give it that. Redbuds and oaks lined the sidewalk, and several fences were draped in light purple flowers and wrapped in dark green vines. She had never been a fan of walking. Or running. Or exercise in general. But it was a nice day; Rowan was going through the town in her head.

Ian's descriptions of the town were limited at best, but several of his recordings were made as he walked the same path. Past the junkyard, down to the main square, by Haider's general store, and back up to the house along the stone fence around the town. The junkyard was now just an empty plot of land, housing only a few scraggly weeds and flowers. The main square still existed though, and much to Rowan's delight there seemed to be some semblance of a population.

There seemed to be an obvious age gap in the town residences. All the people she could see were either grey-haired grandparents or brightly clothed children. Older children and young adults all seemed to be out on vacation.

The old time stores were mostly still open and Rowan did see some out-of-state license plates in surrounding parking spots. Tourists wanting a little nostalgia were probably the norm here. And Rowan couldn't really blame them. There was a mom-and-pops soda shop, an old-time barber shop, ice cream parlors and local restaurants. Old and new posters and lost dog signs dotted the windows. It all seemed so small, so local, so warm. But sadly, a small town Walmart had replaced the general store.