In the End

Rowan watched in awe as the birds flew her over the forest, giving her a view she doubted anyone besides the birds had ever seen. This was impossible. There was no earthly way that the birds should have been able to catch her when she was falling and to carry her all this way. Then again, finding a boy who hasn't aged a day but has been missing for nearly fifty years was also quite impossible. Much less finding him in the form of a tree monster. Rowan pushed logic away. Magic, man. This whole world was crazy.

The birds had divided into several groups, with Rowan and Anne in a solid lead on the others. Slowly, their birds began to lower them into a shining, misty patch of forest among the mountains. Anne looked around. "I still can't believe Dieserair was him," she said once she was close enough to Rowan. "Ian, I mean."

"Me neither," Rowan said. "It's amazing to think that- well, I mean, the shadows kept him alive and young. He hasn't aged a day since he went missing."

"I was pretty surprised when I saw the birds carrying him. He looks just like his missing picture."

Rowan nodded as the birds carefully lowered her onto the ground, the crow with the broken cry flapping down to rest on her shoulder. They were a bit rougher on Anne, she noticed. But to be fair she was squirming something awful. "I halfway wish you could have seen it, Anne," she sighed. "But whatever Dieserair was, it just... wilted off of him. He was just a crying, hurt little boy underneath all the rage."

Anne glared at her a bit. "Yeah, but let's not forget he's still the murderous tyrant we came here to stop. Don't forget that." Anne turned away, ignoring Rowan's stare. "Speaking of..."

Anne nodded her head upward. Rowan turned to look, and saw Jack and Ian, up above, being lowered into the woods. Jack was dropped just a few inches off the ground. Ian was looking around, smiling at the scenery, when the birds dropped him form a good yard in the air. "Oopmh!"

"Hey!" Rowan loked at the birds flying away, then turned to the one on she shoulder. "You don't have to dump him like bag of garbage or something!"

Anne huffed. "Can you really blame them?"

Rowan turned to retort, but Ian interrupted. "No, no, she's right," he groaned, standing. "You really can't blame them." He gestured around. Rowan followed his hand and for the first time noticed dozens of tiny creatures, bugs, and toys gathered around them. Ian looked at her sadly. "I've caused so much damage here. I don't expect forgiveness anytime soon. Though, I will work for it."

"Well," Anne said snobbishly, walking up till her face was in his. "You nearly killed someone I care very much for. Don't expect forgiveness from me, ever."

Rowan sighed, exasperated. "Ah jeez, Anne-!"

"No," Ian looked down sadly. "I understand... If it makes any difference, I can't actually remember much. It's all like a bad dream."

Anne snarled at him. "Well, isn't that convenient!" Then, turning dramatically, she stormed off.

Rowan walked up to him as the crow flew off her shoulder, putting a loving hand -at least she hoped it was loving- on Ian's shoulder. "I'm really sorry about her."

"She's just spirited. She's cares an awful deal about you."

Rowan smiled with a huff. "So," she said, changing the subject. "Where will you go now? If you need somewhere to stay, I'm sure my parents will let you stay at our, and well, your old house."

Ian took a step back so he was facing her. He smiled, somewhat sadly. "I really do appreciate that, but with Jonathan gone I don't think it will feel like home."