Prologue - A Breached City

John stood at the front of the ship as it sailed towards Vale. The gentle waves bobbed the vessel up and down, the fog was thick, the seagulls quiet. Something was wrong, he could feel it. The faint sounds of a siren. The Atlas ships flying overhead.

John was a faunus, a cat faunus. His feline ears pointed in the direction of the city, focusing on the sounds. His cat eyes narrowed, scanning the harbour as it slowly came into view. His tail gently swayed in the ocean breeze.

"Something wrong?" Daryun asked tentatively. Daryun was the leader of team DJNN and the only human on it. His was weak, sickly, but he was smart. What he lacked in strength he made up for in tactics and intellect. John was rarely this quiet, he knew something was wrong.

"Trouble..." The dark haired, pale skinned cat faunus didn't turn to face his leader as he spoke. He eyes continued to dart around, painting a mental map of the situation.

Daryun had known John for a while now, they had been on the same team for two years. He knew to trust his teammate's senses. 

"Captain!" Daryun ran over to the bridge. His team was heading to Beacon for the tournament, but his ill health had delayed them, arriving later than most of the other teams from Haven - the hunter academy of Mistral. They had managed to hitch a ride on this civilian cargo ship, which was more than happy to have hunters and huntresses on board.

The captain, an old man with a grey beard and tired eyes, looked worried. He had sailed this route hundreds of times, he didn't need faunus abilities to understand the situation. "Looks like trouble... we're going to hold here-"

"Please Captain! Get us to the docks!" Daryun's long pale hair flapped uncontrollably in the breeze. His blue eyes pleaded with the captain.

"Fine..." the captain sighed and increased speed.

The sickly human ran down into the ship, coughing as he went. He barged into the crew quarters to find his teammates playing poker with some of the crew.

Nerisa and her brother Nume made up the last of team DJNN. They were both dark skinned bunny faunus and both hid their ears. Nerisa used a bandanna tied around her head to force her ears down, hiding them in her long green hair, while Nume used bandages to hide his. Nerisa was the older of the two, but only barely.

"Numb... Noo mey..." the first mate of the ship struggled to pronounce the faunus's name.

"It's pronounced as Noom"

"... then why not spell it like th-"

The male faunus hunter glared and prepared an insult for the human, but the arrival of team DJNN's leader quickly stopped him.

"Yo, boss! What's up?" Nume smiled widely and leaned back, he had three aces and had just gone all in, confident of his victory.

"Get to the deck now! We're heading into battle-"

"B-battle!?" Nerisa screamed, then turned a deep shade of red as she blushed. She was a shy girl, which wasn't surprising given the amount of bullying faunus had endured in Haven - in all of Remnant. She was nervous around people, men especially, and this human crew had proven to be quite intimidating for her.

Daryun grabbed Nume's bow and Nerisa's spear and threw his teammates their weapons. They nodded and obeyed, following him to the deck.

The ship fell silent as it entered the harbour. Sirens screeched, signalling a grimm attack. John jumped onto land at his first chance. His semblance allowed him to teleport short distances. He drew his brilliant white katana from his back and scanned the area, his cat ears darted around as they desperately filtered out the sirens and tried to assess the situation-