Part 11 - The Crushed Rose

Ozpin sat in his office and watched the scenes unfold around him. Knights were fast approaching Beacon tower, and the group of soldiers he had sent out there to guard it were struggling. Blake and Weiss were on their way, but had a lot of knights between them and the tower. He took a sip of coffee and glanced over to another screen to see Jaune, and a group of hunters, land nearby. "Good" he finished the coffee and stood.

*rumble*

The sound was very distant and not noticeable unless you were listening out for it-

Which Ozpin was. He frowned and brought up a remote feed outside Mountain Glenn-

The mountain near the ruins was crumbling... and something was coming out.

A grimm. A huge grimm.

It flew with incredible speed, straight towards the city, dropping a trail of black fleshy lumps. The lumps hit the streets of Mountain Glenn and begun to grow. White armour plates formed, then limbs, eyes... grimm.

"Oh dear..." the professor grabbed his cane. After Raven's brief report, he had read through the old records and in particular theories of how so many grimm had gotten so close to the city so quickly. One theory was dismissed as 'ridiculous'.

No one yet knew how grimm bred-

But Ozpin's video feed had just proved that 'ridiculous' theory right. "A grimm that spawns more grimm..." he grabbed his cane and tightened his grip. "... Salem, what have you done?"

Jaune and his hunters finished off a small group of grimm and started to race towards the sounds of gunfire in the distance.

Pyrrha beamed. She had never been more proud of him-

Movement caught her eye. Movement from the back of the tower, right in front of them. A man in green, with silver hair. "Professor..." she nodded to herself and walked towards him. It was time to stop running from her destiny.

"Where's she going!?" Nora was itching to join the others.

"Hey!" Velvet shouted back "Come on slowpokes! Or we'll kill everything without you!"

Jaune sighed and addressed his teammates. "I'll go find out, you two go and fight with the others" he picked up the pace and raced after Pyrrha, leaving his teammates to join the fray around the front side of the tower. "Ren... Nora. Please be safe."

The red caped huntress nodded to herself and turned back towards the arena. She held her chest and jogged down the maze of corridors, stepping over possessions which people had dropped in their hurry to leave-

"AH!" she scooped up a familiar looking object. "My scroll! What are the chances?" she giggled to herself and continued. "Wow, 30 missed calls? Geez Weiss..." she sighed and put it away. Her best friend would only try to stop her.

The stadium was completely dead, with everyone either lying on the landing pads dead, or flying to safety. She slowed as she reached the edge of the arena-

The griffons were gone, but the sigh of relief quickly turned to a squeal of horror.

Peter Port and Bartholomew Oobleck were dead. Little remained of their bodies, but the fragments of clothing and hair left behind - along with the large pools of blood - confirmed it.

Ruby slowly approached their remains, shaking. She holstered her weapon, which was now in its compact gun form, and stood up straight. She held one arm behind her back and placed her right fist on her chest - an old hunter salute. "I won't forget you, or the sacrifices you two made today." she paused, a tear rolling down her cheek "T-Thank you sirs".