Part 10 - The Shattered Mirror

The elevator reached the ground floor and Qrow nodded to his niece. "You've got this Ya-"

But the drunkard was interrupted as a massive explosion ripped through the city of Vale below. He sprinted out into the corridor and to a window-

His mouth dropped. Two Atlesian warships had just crashed into, and vaporised, a quarter of the city - of the residential district. "... Change of plans..." he muttered. "Glynda, sorry, but I'm going in there. You can play alarm clock with that girl if you want-"

The blonde haired witch frowned at him "Qrow! We have orders from Ozp-"

The drunkard turned and snapped at her "To hell with orders!" and ran towards the landing pads.

Yang looked out at the city below. The sirens still blared. Screams could still be heard. "Please be safe.." she grabbed her scroll and hit the speed dial for her lover.

"BLAKE!" Yang yelled into the scroll "Where are you!? Are you okay!?"

There was silence for a moment.

"We're okay Yang, Weiss and me are in Beacon still - at the festival-" the sound of gunfire and screaming crackled in through the call, muffling Blake's otherwise calm voice.

"WHITE FANG!!!" a strange, distant voice shouted through the phone.

"What's going on!?" the blonde huntress's heart raced. This was crazy! Just a few moments ago she was packing up to leave and now the city was falling apart. "Did that guy say White Fang!?"

Blake frowned. She gritted her teeth. Her heart raced. "Adam... what are you doing?..."

"These grimm couldn't get this far this quickly without help!" Weiss looked around in horror as she spoke. All around her people screaming and running. The gunfire was becoming louder, closer, but there was less of it. As she expected the Vale Defence Force was no match for this many grimm.

The black huntress gripped her scroll tightly "Yang, the White Fang are letting grimm in through the landing pads, Weiss and I are heading there now-"

"I'll meet you there!" Yang started to run "Oh! And watch out for Emerald, Mercury, Cinder and John! They're behind this somehow! A-And Blake...." Yang paused, unsure of how to say what she wanted-

Blake smiled "I know Yang. You too" she hung up and entered the four digit emergency code into her scroll. Moments later a pod launched from the academy and landed in front of her. The door of the metal, cylindrical pod popped off and her weapons were revealed, shining in the moonlight.

"Weiss... it's time we do our jobs."

The heiress nodded and entered her code into her own scroll.

Growls of grimm grew closer.

The sounds of gunfire had almost stopped, replaced with screams.

The grimm had reached the festival.

"Fuck!!" screamed a Fred as he reached the landing pad in the stadium. The pads were packed, people were forcing their way past each other and desperately trying to get on the VTOLs.

When the stadium was designed, no one had even considered having to evacuate it. It had a bunch of fail-safes to keep it flying, and could softly land if needed. But evacuating a 100% full stadium during a grimm attack? Flying over Vale!? No one could have foreseen this.

"This is fucked up..." Carla began to sob "why now!? There hasn't been a grimm attack on Vale in over 100 years! Now we get two in a few weeks!?" she rubbed her pregnant bump. "Oh gods... Fred... what kind of world are we bringing our baby into?"