Part 1 - The Incomplete Team

"Legends... stories scattered through time. Mankind has grown quite fond of recounting the exploits of heroes and villains, forgetting so easily that we are remnants, by-products of a forgotten past... Mankind created light from the darkness... but even the most brilliant lights flicker and die" the white haired woman laughed.

"When they are gone... darkness will return." she stood, taking on a mocking tone "So you may prepare your guardians. Build your monuments to a so-called free world." she approached Ozpin, staring down at the man as he lay beaten on the ground.

"Take heed - there will be no victory in strength" her smiled widened.

The headmaster smiled "But perhaps victory can be found in the simpler things that you have long forgotten... things that require a smaller, more honest soul... Salem... do not underestimate us-" he was cut off as Salem broke into laughter. She smiled and stared down at the young caped huntress on the floor beside her.

"Summer Rose... was it?" she nodded to some beowolves who moved into position, each grabbing one of Summer's limbs in their mouths. The young huntress let out a cry, a mix of pain and fear.

"O-Oz! Please... look after my dau-"

A moment later the beowolves had ripped off her limbs, leaving just a screaming head and torso.

Salem approached, with a glowing black dagger in her hand. She stood beside what was left of Summer and bent down. "Is this the honest soul you spoke of Ozpin? Do you see now? All light will fade before the darkness" she thrust her blade into Summer's skull, killing her instantly. "The world was born from darkness... and will return to it".

Ozpin screamed himself awake. It was a dream... a memory. His encounters with Salem had been haunting him recently, he couldn't help but feel that she was in some way behind all of this... Amber... the attack on Beacon...

He sat upright, too afraid to fall back to sleep, and made himself a cup of coffee. He sighed. The sun hadn't fully set yet.The first round would be starting tomorrow morning. 

"So much for an early night..." he took a deep gulp of boiling coffee.

Ruby Rose, the young leader of team RWBY stood atop a cliff, overlooking Vale. The orange glow of the rising sun was quickly fading, slowly becoming day. A brisk wind blew her red cape and almost forced her to the ground.

She stood in front of a gravestone, her mother's. The name Summer Rose was engraved on it, along with a rose emblem.

The caped huntress slowly pulled back her hood as the wind calmed. Her hair, black with a red tint, blew slightly. Bandages were wrapped tightly around her chest from her injuries, she struggled to breathe, even after a week of rest.

"Hey mom..." Ruby spoke to the stone, her voice filled with sadness.

"I know I haven't come by in a while... I'm sorry. Things have been... difficult." she paused for a moment, the events of her first year in Beacon flashed before her eyes. Good memories, like meeting her team and falling in love with Anton... but the memory of lying by a crashed train, slowly drowning in her own blood tainted it all.

"Oh! Dad's here too!" the red caped huntress quickly changed the subject "He's... you know... dad" she smiled, and shared some stories of her father with her mother's grave, breaking into fits of laughter occasionally.

"... I... I think he misses adventuring with you..." Ruby's tone once again become sad. "I miss you too..."

"I haven't gotten kicked out of Beacon yet, so that's cool... being with Yang helps." her face stretched to a cheeky grin "I keep her in line!... OK that was a joke".