Tonight's Just Full of Lessons

1 AM in the middle of the woods in Havenswood

The breeze had more of a bite to it as it rustled through the leaves, creating a symphony of sound in the silent forest. A sheen of sweat clung to Julia, every muscle in her body strained like the string on a violin wound too tight, ready to snap at any moment. Her entire being focused on trying to harness the energy from the nature surrounding her and turn it into magic.

"Come on, Jules concentrate," Ren said, standing in front of Julia with a sour expression on his face. "You need to feel the flow of all the living things around you,"

Julia's eyes shot open, her hand balled into tight fists as she fought the urge to smack Ren upside the head and walk home in utter defeat. "How can you say that to me? That's all I've been doing for the past four hours." Then seeing that Ren didn't care and would not let her off the hook she sighed and grumbled, "Okay, Yoda, I get it. Jeez, you've been drilling this into my head for a month now. I'm trying damn it."

He arched an eyebrow at her; mock insult painted his face and softly punched her on the arm. "Cheeky. Firstly, I am not Yoda, a young Obi Wan Kenobi maybe and secondly you have to try harder. Julia, you're not taking this seriously."

She glared at Ren and pounded her fist on a thick redwood tree which splintered. "I am taking this seriously, Ren!"

She couldn't believe what a hard-ass he was being. It wasn't like she could help the fact she had a pathetic amount of magical power in her. If there was a way to somehow harness her powers and generate more of it through Zen-like focus, she would've already flipping done it weeks ago. The last thing she wanted was to be stuck in the woods yet again having to miss her favourite human TV shows. "Do you think I enjoy being the loser who can't use any of her powers? Or like the fact that I'll never be able to live up to my mother and the lineage of powerful witches I come from?"

Julia cursed and then walked off in utter defeat toward the small campfire and flopped down in front of it. She pulled her knees into her chest, wrapping her arms tightly around them and stared into the fire. The flames were not only orange and yellow they were also blue and green; thanks to some faerie magic from Ren. It meant the fire wouldn't go out, and it emitted a constant temperature and brightness of light.

He sat next to Julia wrapping one of his long arms around her, pulling her into him. "I'm sorry, Jules. I know this isn't easy for you but you have to try. Just do it for me, please."

She sighed resting her head on his chest listening to the steady beat of his heart, an act she'd done time and again over the years. Whenever she's needed a shoulder to cry on or a chest to lean on Ren always provided it.

"That's the only reason I'm doing any of this. Don't think for one second that I'd put myself through this for anyone else. I know what everyone says about me behind my back, 'Oh poor Rosalie to have such a pathetic, powerless child.' Having to see their pity whenever they look at me, it makes me so damn furious. I want to go around punching holes into things. That's about all I'm good for." She had to put up with snide remarks her whole life and though she put up a good front it never got easier or hurt any less.

Ren rested his chin on her head and hugged her closer to him. "Julia, that isn't true," his words were soft and tender. "Trust me when I tell you that inside of you is a power that burns so bright it makes the sun pale in comparison. You just have to find it."

Julia squeezed him tighter. "Thanks, Ren. You know exactly what to say to make me feel better. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Lucky for you, you never have to." He kissed the top of her head and then stood up, stretched out his arm for her to take and lifted her up. Standing behind her he whispered in her ear, "Now, I want you to close your eyes." Ren placed his palm on the small of her back and the other on her stomach. "I want you to concentrate on this spot, block out everything else." He paused. "Really focus and when you feel the heat buildup, nod."