Going Round in Circles

They crossed the street in quick strides and went four doors down to the house the dark faeries were staying at. Heading to the back of the house, they entered the basement through the cellar doors. To Julia's astonishment the basement was gigantic. Magic had made it at least four times larger both in length and width. Looking over at Ren she raised her eyebrows at him.

He took a small bow and flashed her a face splitting smile. "Yes. I truly am that awesome."

"Wow," she whispered in astonishment. "This must have drained a lot of power from you to do this, Ren."

Although those types of spells were easy to perform, they did however take a massive amount of power to do. This was why only very strong witches and faeries could pull off defying the laws of physics. Once established the space didn't require more power to maintain, which meant the space could stay as long as the caster required it.

Julia had only seen three other people do that magic. Rosalie had a secret space hidden behind her closet, that Julia had caught her mom sneaking out of when Julia was nine. Julia had been playing hide and seek while hiding under her mother's bed. Julia found the door, but she never broke the barrier placed around it and she never saw what was inside. Felicia's book shop basement was another; it was an underground warren of winding hallways and rooms. Edrys's office at the town hall was the other; it had a private back room where she hid when she didn't want to be disturbed.

As Julia walked further into the basement, she could hear Alex and Véronique arguing in the corner and Julia's eyes went straight to Alex. Her heart sped up the moment their eyes locked. It had been a long and agonising week since she had been able to get close to him. It didn't help that he always made a hasty retreat the minute he saw her.

She sighed. That night they kissed in the woods felt a lifetime ago, and she still wasn't sure she hadn't just dreamt the whole thing up. Not one but two people had drugged her that night, and the way Alex was avoiding her again only added to her doubt. Julia half convinced herself whatever Mormo had given her, had made her hallucinate the whole kiss and Alex confessing his feelings.

Go to Alex; show him how much he means to you, a voice inside of Julia urged her. She bit her bottom lip to quiet her mind and stopped herself from running over to him. Resolved not to make an ass out of herself by doing anything as stupid as throwing her arms around him and kissing him. It didn't matter that her whole body ached to do just that.

Véronique snapped her fingers in front of Alex's face, forcing him to look away from Julia and return his attention back to his conversation with the She Devil.

Damien walked up behind Julia and rested both his hands on her shoulders in a semi-possessive move. She stiffened as he leaned into her ear and said, "What do you think of your new training hall?"

Julia tried to step out of his grip but his hold on her shoulders tightened, making her even more uncomfortable. She knew she had to nip things in the bud with Damien's advances. But she liked his company and friendship and didn't want to chase him away.

She gave Ren a pleading look begging him to rescue her and said, "This place is amazing. How long have you guys been working on this?"

Before Damien could answer, Véronique clapped her hands together. "Cut the chit chat; let's get started." She gave Julia a nasty look. "The quicker we get this over with the better."

Ren stepped next to Julia and hissed at Véronique, "Excuse you. Last time I checked no one asked you to be here. If you're going to keep that up you can just slither back under that rock of yours."

Alex walked up and got in between the two of them. "Stop causing trouble, Véronique. I already told you you don't have to be here."

Véronique flicked her long black hair and scowled at Ren. "I want to see what she can do." Then she glared at Julia. If the other boys had not been there Julia would've run. Véronique was gunning for her and wasn't trying to hide it.