Hallows Eve

Friday, October 31

The high-pitched squealing of the alarm clock caused Julia to fall out of bed. Groaning she untangled herself from her sheets, walked into the bathroom and turned the shower on. Shuffling over to the sink she brushed her teeth waiting for the water in the shower to heat. One look in the mirror had her avoiding a second glance, because she looked like death warmed up. There were dark circles under her eyes, their bright hazel lustre were now dull husks. Her vibrant glow had vanished, leaving a ghostly shadow in its wake.

After taking a shower and getting dressed, she sat alone at the table in the kitchen pushing her untouched food around her plate staring into space.

Rosalie called into the kitchen from the living room, "If you don't get a move on, honey, you're going to be late."

Grabbing her coat and slinking it on, Julia threw her bag on her shoulder and trudged out the front door in a cloud of despair. Walking down her front steps she instinctively looked for Ren and then had to remind herself that he was still pissed and not talking to her. It made her even more depressed as she walked off to school alone.

It was Friday and Julia had Nature class for first period; mercifully it is one of the few classes she didn't have with Ren. She headed straight to the woods at the back of the school so she didn't risk running into Ren in the hallways. Expecting to find the rest of the class to be there, it surprised her to only find Alex waiting in the small clearing under the young birch trees. He was sitting on a huge redwood tree that had been cut down to make the perfect bench.

Julia looked over at him; his pristine perfectness annoyed her. Even though they had reached the point where they tolerated each other they still weren't friends. She sighed and walked toward the opposite end of the clearing. Alex took one look at her then jumped up and headed toward her.

"You don't look so well, are you all right?" he asked concerned.

She stared at him wondering what his game was, and then loudly huffed. "You know, telling a girl she looks like crap isn't cool." She was not in the mood to let him off the hook for anything. Feeling the need to scratch her claws on something, he would do nicely.

Alex arched an eyebrow at her not taking her bait. "I didn't say that. Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?" He grabbed her hand and led her back over to where he was sitting. "And just so you know even though you look like you should be home resting, I still think you look good."

Warmth spread through her, pooling in her chest, hearing him say that. She blushed and peeked up at him through her eyelashes then thought, stop it. Julia was too busy chastising herself as they walked back to the huge bench that she didn't notice the root in her path. Her foot hooked under it causing her to stumble forward.

Alex swiftly reached out his arm and caught her around her chest. The contact of his strong arm holding her made her breath hitch, and she blushed even harder as she looked up and their eyes met. He looked away; slipping his arm around her waist he helped her the rest of the way. She was caught completely off guard by the sudden strong magnetic pull her heart felt toward him. She was silent, lost in a sea of thoughts and emotions as she sat down. Knowing if she gave into the pull she felt toward him it would consume her.

Alex's eyes were soft and caring as he looked at her. His change in attitude toward her and her own feelings had her bewildered. One minute he was cold and hostile toward her, the next he was friendly and joking and the next he was kind and caring. It made her head spin, and it pissed her off that she couldn't figure him out. The magnetic pull she felt eased allowing her mind to clear, and her mood changed. For gods' sake get it together, she thought and scooted further away from him.