Lose Yourself

The windy back roads led them deep into the woods, on the Jacksonville side of the Rogue River–Siskiyou National Forest, and it was nine o'clock by the time they arrived at huge estate. The car passed through a huge, ornately carved wrought-iron gate. The gravel driveway was lined with huge torches shaped like jack-o'-lanterns casting an eerie glow over everything. The long driveway led them deeper into the woods until it opened up and they pulled up to the massive two-story mock Tudor house.

As soon as Damien turned off the car, they could hear the music thumping. Excited, everyone left the car and joined the mass of supernaturals filling into the house. Stepping through the huge double doors Julia looked around. The entrance led into a vast open space, the size of half a football field. It was stuffed with tons of dancing bodied packed in like sardines; everyone was high on excitement that no one cared.

Ren pulled Julia aside as the others disappeared into the crowed. She gave him a tentative smile, not sure what his mood would bring.

He smiled back at her, "look, Jules, I still don't trust Damien," but his tone was hard. "And I will not apologise for what I said to you. But please, can we put that behind us?"

Relief washed over her tense body that he was as least talking to her. All she craved was to hug him. Yet they had resolved nothing, and she didn't want him thinking he could get away with acting like a jerk just because he was jealous. "Ren, I want to get past this, but you know what I think and how I feel about Damien, and that will not change. He's a good guy; if you can't treat him nicely, then we can't move forward."

Ren grit his teeth. "Jules, you know I would do anything for you and I will protect you from danger. Why can't you trust me on this?"

She sighed, frustrated at his pigheadedness. He was bringing her down before she could even have any fun at the party; it was such a buzz kill. "Ren, I really don't what to fight with you. Let's just have a good time." She gestured around her. "We're at a freaking huge supernatural party not some lame party in Havenswood. All I want to do is have a good time."

Abby danced up to them and shouted over the music. "Come on, you guys give it a rest and party. Woo-hoo!" She flashed Ren a huge smile and a wink as she hooked her arm around Julia and dragged her off. "Your prince thought you needed rescuing," Abby said with a grin waving at Damien. Grabbing two pink drinks off a passing tray she handed one to Julia. "I have no idea what they are but these are delish."

Julia eagerly took a sip, it was like a rainbow exploded in her mouth, everything became brighter and more vibrant. "Wow," was all Julia could manage as she looked around. The drink was washing away all her cares.

Abby grinned and shouted over the music, "I know right!" Then she knocked back the rest of her drink. "Well, have fun. That tengu over there has been checking me out for the past ten minutes. Wish me luck."

Julia gave her a suggestive grin and quickly hugged her, "You don't need it, but good luck any ways," and then walked over to Damien.

Damien took the pink drink out of her hand and gave her a green and orange drink. "This one's amazing; the pink one doesn't even compare."

Giving him a smile she couldn't wait to try it. Julia took a sip and what could only be described as bliss in liquid form passed her lips and slid down her throat. Her whole body lit up like the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. She gulped the rest of the drink down and excitement coursed through her veins. Happy and full of life all at once, all she wanted to do was dance till the end of time.

Damien led her into the throng of dancing bodies and they let loose dancing like crazy, spending all their energy. It had numbed the voice that had held her back from getting closer to Damien. Julia could finally enjoy herself without constantly second guessing her feelings and actions. Their bodies swayed and gyrated to the wild rhythm of the music, tangling their arms and legs together as Julia got into the tune.