Secrets II

The town seeped into late night silence, its occupants fast asleep as Rosalie and Ren headed home. They turned down their street and ambled past the craftsman style houses in different shades of green, duck egg, graphite and other such colours, toward their own homes.

Ren linked his arm with his old friend ̶ an action he did all the time when she was younger. "I hope you weren't too hard on Julia." He chose his words carefully knowing it was a touchy subject. "You know her going to Europe and all of this had to happen."

Rosalie narrowed her eyes at him. "She disobeyed me when I forbade her to go and so did you. Don't think I've forgiven you, Oren," her tone sharp.

"We've talked about this, Rosalie. I know it was a long time ago, but I explained all of this to you by me, my Queen, even your grandmother."

She pinched the bridge of her nose and heaved a heavy sigh. "How could I forget that day, Ren? You laid a heavy burden on my shoulders. All of you did. I should've run; any normal person would've. But you were always there for me and I trusted you then. I..."

He gave her a smile, as warm and radiant as spring ̶ the one he saved only for her. "It's been a long time since you called me Ren." She would always be a special rose to him. "I am sorry, Rosa. Believe me, if there had been any other way. I watched your grandmother and mother grow up. I was there when you took your first breath and your first steps. Do you think I wanted to rest this all on your shoulders? I would've done anything to change your fate or Julia's."

Sadness twisted Rosalie's face, and she stopped walking. "She will be eighteen soon. And you will place a burden so big onto her shoulders I'm afraid it will crush her."

Ren had no words to console his old friend; because she was partly to blame for the current situation, she had left her daughter in. "I wanted to tell Julia when she turned twelve. The same way you were told, as well as your mother, and your grandmother were told. But you begged me. Remember? You begged me to let her have her childhood. Rosa, I didn't agree with your decision then and I still don't, but I felt I owed you and her that much at least."

Rosalie ruffled his hair and started walking toward their homes. "And I am grateful to you for that."

"Then stop trying to fight her destiny for her and allow her to follow it. You of all people should know you can't outrun it forever. At least give Julia a chance to choose her own path," he pleaded with her. "You have to stop binding that side of her powers. She has to learn how to use both witchcraft and that other side of her abilities if she has any hope of defeating Thorsen." He was desperate that Julia had every advantage to help her in the hard times to come. "The fact remains she will be a weapon whether or not you like it, Rosalie. She needs to learn how to use all of her powers so she can be a weapon to fight against Thorsen and not one that he uses."

"No!" Rosalie's voice trembled. "Absolutely not, Ásgeirr made me promise not to let her use her those powers until the right time."

"And he conveniently died before telling you when the right time was," Ren said in a sarcastic tone. He grabbed her by both arms and turned her to face him. "Rosalie, as it stands now Julia can barely use her witch's powers," his voice cracked and pain swamped his gaze. "You are leaving the girl all but defenceless."

Her face softened, and she stroked his arm. "I believed in Ásgeirr back then, and I still do. Besides that's what she has you for."

"Things are falling into place and who's to say the right time isn't now with the dark fae turning up. I understand you wanting to leave Julia in the dark as long as possible. But the way you're shielding her just might get her killed."

Deep furrows creased her brow. "Stop. Oren, just stop. She is my daughter and I will protect her how I see fit until my dying breath."

Rosalie sighed and ruffled his hair again shaking her head. "Honestly Oren, I don't get why on Earth you insist on having these ridiculous colours in your hair. Its natural colour was so beautiful."

He could tell that was her way of ending the subject and decided it was best to play along and laughed. "That's because it's called fashion, you old granny. Unlike you, Rosa, I enjoy staying up-to-date with the latest trends."

She squeezed his shoulder. "As tomorrow is the first day of school I will un-ground Julia. You can come by and pick her up and go do whatever it is you guys do after school. Just try not to stay out too late."

Ren hugged her, "thanks, Rosalie," and then walked off toward his house. Ren looked over his shoulder and watched the internal war that was raging inside of her as Rosalie to walk up her front steps.

**************************

Hi all thanks for sticking with me.

Thanks for reading and please don't forget to vote.

love ya.