cat and mouse 2

A million thoughts swirled around her head as she lay on the cold stone floor looking out the window at the night sky. Tears threatened to spill over as her thoughts turned to Alex, hoping he was okay. Then she wondered what happened to Damien. She had seen the men drag Alex away, but she had not noticed what happened to her best friend in all the commotion.

The door opened and closed softly and she heard quiet footsteps approach her. She was facing away from the door and could not see who it was. "Back for more, uncle?" she snarled.

There was no answer as the person approached her. They stopped by the chair and then her world righted itself as they set the chair back up. She kept her head down thinking it was a waste of energy to look up. A pair of worn, mid-calf soft brown leather riding boots came into her field of vision.

She smirked as she saw the straps and buckles on the boots and let out a short laugh. "Well, if it isn't the Black Dragon. What are you doing here Griffemort? Come to stick your daggers in my back as well?" the bitterness in her voice was razor sharp.

The Black Dragon was silent as he stood over her. Beatrix figured he was staring at her. Then he crouched down flashing her a playful grin.

Hooking his finger under her chin he raised her face until her eyes met his silver eyes that had just a hint of blue in them. "Your words wound me."

This made her snort out a laugh. Shaking her head, she said, "You and I both know there are only a handful of things that can hurt you, and my words are not one of them."

He kept the grin on his face but to her surprise his eyes looked hurt. "Ma mie, you know why I am here." He pulled three long vials out of the pocket in his black leather cavalier vest. All three contained liquids; one golden, one black and one red.

She arched an eyebrow at him. "What in the name of the gods are in those?"

The light in his eyes ignited and his grin grew more devilish. "You need to drink these," was his only reply.

Beatrix smirked at him. "You are kidding right. Valac, I have known you forever and I still do not understand what your end game is. Thus, there is no way I am drinking those."

He let out a glorious laugh. In that moment looking at Valac it reminded her of Alex and it sent a sharp pain straight to her heart. The two looked too much a-like it was unnerving.

He reached out and stroked her cheek. "Clever girl, as always, you know me so well. Yet I have a promise to keep and fulfilling it requires you to drink these." He held up the three vials again and pointed at the golden one. "This is from the Mad Queen herself." He pointed at the black one and tapped his nose. "This one, well I can't tell you who this one is from exactly. However, it is from another vested party in this little game." Then he pointed to the red one. "And this one is from your mother."

Beatrix could not contain the laughter that clawed its way out of her. The madness of it all struck her all at once. "Up to your usual tricks I see. You always have to have your finger in all the dirty little pies," her voice dripped with animosity."Tell me, how many of them know about your double dealings and back stabbings? Or better yet, how many know your true nature? The one you work hard to hide."

He pursed his lips then looked down for a moment before staring into her eyes. "Ma mie, I am not doing this because I want to. I know your mother told you there is a reason to all of this insanity."

Tears pooled in her eyes recalling the conversation with her mother in which Beatrix was told she must die. "I want to know why you are doing this, Valac. Whose side are you on damn it!"

His eyes never left hers. "We all have our secrets, Princess," he said calmly, "and that is one of them. Why I do what I do and the people I serve are all a means to an end. Make no mistake, I am dangerous because I will achieve that end at whatever the cost," his words were cold and deadly. Yet, they were comforting.