XIV. Lethal Drinks

'Here's the next chapter! Hope you enjoy the Benefit!
Also, can we take a moment and admire the picture? Funny thing, try and imagine him wearing this, yet having his hair shorter. I simply can't and trust me I tried. A LOT'

-- This comment was written long before everyone knew about the Another man launch party. Just saying. So now we can actually imagine it. --

Enjoy!

~*~

We were all eating and listening to Louis who was telling funny jokes about his younger sisters. The thing that caught my attention, though, or better the person, was Eleanor. She was acting differently tonight. There was something about the way she smiled whenever Louis said something.

My suspicions grew even stronger now that the main attention was lifted from Louis. Harry was talking to Sophia, Liam's fiancée who was a lovely girl, and my attention was still focused on the two in front of me. They were whispering to each other and laughing at some inside jokes. I had never seen that look in El's eyes, yet it did look very familiar.

Louis and Eleanor were a thing.

I didn't know if it was anything serious, whether it was a relationship, a fling or an affair. But it was definitely something. My first reaction was to tell them off. Tell them that it was so unprofessional of the both of them.
Then again, I couldn't do that because I was doing the exact same thing. Well, not exactly the same. El's boss actually liked her back, whether mine didn't. I was pulled out of my reverie when I felt a hand on my lower back.

"How do you like the food?"

The familiar heat was spreading through my veins again, starting from the spot which was covered by his warm hand. Even though my dress took away some of his warmth on my skin, it still felt divine. I caught myself wanting to feel the heat on my bare skin again. I tried to refocus on the question and answered quite flushed and out of breath.

"It's excellent." I turned to meet his eyes and noticed his green eyes filled with worry.

"Are you feeling ill, Amelia?"

Great, now he thought I was sick. What was I supposed to say? No, Harry, I'm feeling mighty fine. Your hand on my lower back gets me all hot and bothered. But please, continue. Not a good idea.

"I'm definitely fine. Don't worry. The food on the other hand might need a check up at the doctors because it's absolutely sick. Get it?"

Oh. God. Really Mia? REALLY? That was by far the worst joke you've ever told anyone. Why did you even bother with telling one. You suck at it. I cringed and lowered my head to avoid the embarrassment for a little longer. I was surprised when I heard Harry laugh beside me. Shocked I looked back up only to be confronted with Harry who was looking at me with a giant grin on his face.

"You made a joke."

Wow, well spotted Mr Styles.

"Tried to. I'm so bad at them." I blushed. "Don't even know why I bother."

"Let me tell you a little secret." He motioned with his pointer and index finger for me to come closer. His gaze was set on mine and he softly brushed a piece of hair out of my face. He then leaned forwards and whispered in my ear to make sure no one could hear him. I felt his breath on my neck and it made me shiver. I tried to cover it up, but to no use. He didn't seem to care, though.

"I'm shit at them too AND I always have to laugh with the worst ones."

Really? He was one of those people too?
I leaned back to look at him properly. His eyebrows were pulled upwards and he was biting his lip to cover up his smile that was trying to escape. I suddenly remembered that we weren't alone in the room, which made me uncomfortable, considering the position we were in a couple of seconds ago. It wasn't very daring or anything, yet people could start talking about it. I didn't like that. I turned back towards my food and took a bite of the delicious fettuccini Alfredo. I felt  Harry's gaze on me. Why? I wondered. What was so interesting about me eating? What was so interesting about me, full stop.