Chapter 9

Varun P.O.V.

Alia would barely look at me the entire way to the airport. She didn't speak at all. I was worried and I knew the others were as well. More than once, Shraddha tried to get her to talk but she just nodded or shook her head.

She was first out at the airport. By the time I had got my bags, she was already inside.

'Varun, do you know what's up with Alia?' Shraddha asked me as we made out way into the airport. Alia was still ahead of us, waiting at security.

'Not a clue.' I told her, keeping my eyes on Alia to make sure she didn't disappear.

'This isn't like her. She's not talking at all, hasn't smiled once and she even left you behind.' She told me. I nodded. Alia is the most talkative, most energetic, happiest person I know. Out of all of us, she's the one who will keep the conversation going.

'I'm worried about her. She's not been herself lately but I thought it was just stress and lack of sleep. Up until now she was still talking at least.' I said, more to myself than Shraddha.

'It's not just that she isn't talking. Since when does she willing leave your side?' I shrugged. 'Do you remember when you left for university?' I smiled as the memory took over me.

I was at the airport, saying goodbye to my friends. My parents were coming with me to make sure I got to uni and got settled okay, so I didn't have to say bye to them just yet, but it was time for me to leave my two best friends.

My parents had already gone ahead to go through security, giving the three of us time to ourselves before I had to leave. For the first time, I was doubting my decision. I was going to a different country by myself. I was leaving my parents and living alone for the first time. More upsetting than that was that I had to leave these two idiots that I call my best friends.

I felt tears building in my eyes as I looked at the two people that I know better than myself. The two people who know me better than I know myself. The two most important people in my life. I don't remember what life was like before I knew them. Can't rememeber a time when I went more than a couple of weeks without seeing them. Now I would have to go months without seeing them.

'Don't you dare start crying, Dhawan. If you do, we will as well.' Shraddha warned. I laughed but a tear fell as well.

'What do I do? You know I get emotional. I'm gonna miss you guys.' I told her.

'Zyada senti mat ho. Otherwise this will turn into one of those goodbye scenes.' Shraddha said. I laughed again.

'Come here.' I told her, pulling her in for a hug. For once, she actually let me hug her despite the fact that there were other people around.

'Don't become a full Englishman, okay? And try not to forget us. I know you're going to be 5000 miles away but you'll still have a phone. You better use it.' She told me, pulling out of the hug.

'You really think I'll just forget you two? I'll be calling you so much you'll get fed up of it.' I told her.

'I mean it. You need to talk, I'm on the other end of the line.' I nodded. 'Chal, I'll let you two say your byes.' She moved to stand a little further away from me and Alia.

I turned to face Alia.

'So...' I said, not sure what to say.

'So. This is it, huh? You're leaving.' She said. I could hear the tears in her voice even though she was trying not to show it. I stepped closer, wrapping my arms around her.

'It's only for a little while. I'll be back before you know it. And when I come back, we'll spend so much time together you'll get sick of me and wish I would just leave again already.'

'I'm never going to wish you would leave. And I haven't gotten fed up with you in this many years, I'm not going to get sick of you that easily.'

'We'll see about that when I get back.'

'Do you have to go?' She asked. I knew she would. She didn't really want me to stay, she wanted me to go because she wanted what's best for me, but I understood why she asked. If it's this hard for me to leave, it can't be much easier for her that I'm going. We've known each other 8 years and there's not been one week where we didn't see each other.

'Do you really want me to stay? I can. If you really desperately want.' I made the offer, knowing she'd say no, but also knowing that if she did tell me to stay, I would. I wouldn't do it for anyone else, probably not even my parents, but I would do anything for Alia, though I'm not entirely sure why she's so different

'No. I want you to go. I know how much you want to go.' She sighed. 'Just, don't disappear of the face of the earth. I get that you'll be busy with school and you'll make friends over there, but make sure you call or text or email or even send a letter,' I laughed, 'but don't disappear on me. And don't get so caught up in your work that you forget to take care of yourself. There isn't going to be anyone there to remind you to eat or tell you that you stink and need a shower.'

'Hey! I shower everyday!' I protested, finally getting a smile out of her.

'My point is, don't get so overwhelmed by life that you forget about yourself. Make sure you come back as the same lively Varun that's leaving.'

'I will. I promise.'

'Good. Now I better go before I start crying.'

'I should probably go through now anyway. I'll see you soon.' She nodded and I was fairly certain it was because, like me, she was afraid that if she spoke she might start crying.

I picked up my carry on and headed for the security check. I looked back just before going through. I smiled and waved to my two best friends before leaving.

'Somethings happened. I don't know what, but there's something not right.' I told Shraddha as we approached the security check. Alia looked at us and I smiled but she quickly looked away.

'You're right.' She agreed. 'You don't think she's sick do you? Like seriously sick?'

'No, she'd tell us if she were. You know she can't keep anything from us. We'd know.' I assured her. She looked relieved.

Problem is, I don't believe myself.

A/N:

What do you think is up with Alia?

What's changed in the time since she woke up?

Is she just tired and stressed?

Is she just not feeling well?

Or is it something more serious?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Guess we'll find out together.

See you soon.