Chapter Two

TAINTED | CHAPTER TWO

Werewolves

My mum was on the couch as I looked across from her to Val. "So, are you serious? It takes six fucking days for her to wake up?" I almost screamed. My hand glided through my hair, frustrated.

Standing up from the chair I went to stare out of my window. I looked through to the backyard in my mother's garden. She had been working years on it since I was little. There was nothing more beautiful than it. When I was little, she used to teach me how to garden and make the earth around me more enjoyable. Now I was the reason that she was going to be a vampire. I had a selfish need to keep her in my existence, even if I didn't know it before.

Before I even knew it, arms were around my waist and a cheek was pressed against my back. Her touch sent an involuntary pulse throughout my body. The sensation wasn't fleeting, but it heightened as some of her delicate fingers trailed over my stomach. I thought it would have been uncomfortable, but it was surprisingly bearable. My hands found hers and I quickly broke the chain of her arms that linked us together.

"What are you doing Val?" I questioned, but my back was still to her. I was giving her a moment to herself because I smelt the blush that was rising to her cheeks. The red river flowing through her smelt like my favorite desserts. It had a melted chocolate scent.

"I thought you needed comfort. You must don't feel it yet," her voice was a whisper almost inaudible when it came to her last sentence. That was when I turned around to find her silently walking away back into the entrance of the house. I went after her quickly before she walked out the door.

"Where are you going? I thought you needed to tell me more about this life," I asked as I grabbed her softly by the arm. Most girls I've known didn't like me to do that. They'd usually give me back sass when I did it. However, all Val did was turn around in a smooth motion and gave me her full attention.

"It'd be better if we feed first, it is one of the processes to become a full vampire," my throat tightens as she said feed. She cut me off before I could respond, "But since I know you will not be comfortable with human blood for a while we'll go into the forest. There are some mountain lions up west. They eat meat, so they'll satisfy your thirst. I must warn you once you start it's hard to stop, though you won't need much of it. You're basically a newborn."

She turned around and opened the door before beckoning me to come forward and follow her. My mother lived in a small neighborhood that was surrounded by the forest. We only needed to head a couple of blocks up before we met the horizon of the beauty Mother Nature provided.

As we walked, I stayed close to Val. For an unexplained reason in the pit of my stomach, I had an investing sense to protect her from any upcoming harm. Although there was not a lot of that in this peaceful place it was still a precaution on my mind.

As we neared the forest there was an overwhelming question that was jumping in my head for a while. "Are there more creatures out there than just vampires?" In my own ear I thought I sounded like a child asking if Santa Clauses was real, but hell after the day I was having he might be.

"Yes," was her simple answer. There wasn't an explanation just a simple yes. I nodded and ran my fingers through my already messy curls. We entered the forest. As we did, I had a dead feeling settle in my body.

I looked over to Val and she had a blank expression as she walked ahead of me. She obviously wasn't feeling what I was. It was almost like a sixth sense. I could tell something was coming. As she walked deeper into the forest I followed. I was always a step behind her. It was only fifteen minutes later when we stopped. We were deeply covered by the trees when she said, "Close your eyes and listen intensely." I did what she said, but I didn't hear anything.