chapter 23

Jamie's POV:

I crept into Derek's room. He sat on the bed with a book on his lap. He stared down at it. I stood there silent. Hunter had just left. After a few moments, Derek looked up at me. "I spoke with Hunter. We decided you should read the book." He looked back down at it as if still debating what he should do with it. After a few moments, he stood up and slowly walked over to me. Derek looked me deeply in the eyes as if this simple book was his most precious possession.

"Jamie, what you read in this book is completely true. This is now what you will study. This is your new education. Are you ready to take on all the new responsibilities that come with this new knowledge?"

I looked up at Derek with a determined look. I knew whatever was in this book, was part of his world. I knew it was not meant for mine. I nodded. "I'm ready." Derek handed me the book I had only a few days ago.

He smiled and walked over to the bed. He turned to me. "Well, aren't you going to read it?" I looked up at him, then back down at the book. I read the name of the book out loud in a soft hesitant voice. "Supra Mundus Fidem." I opened the hard cover to read the first page. In Memory of Sara Smith. My beloved wife. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. "You should sit down." I did as told and walked over to bed with Derek.