Chapter 2

Eventually, you decided that you'd had enough wandering for the day and decided to stop for something to soothe your rumbling stomach. You couldn't recall your last meal, and pain was beginning to gnaw at your stomach, though you guessed it probably had been for longer than you realized. What was it about this place that made it so peculiar? Crossing the street, you entered a little cafe called Granny's and approached the counter. The place was run-down, but felt homey and comfortable. Nonetheless, at least it was warm.

"Hello, miss. May I help you?" an old woman asked, smiling at you from behind the counter.

"Dandelion milk, maybe?" you replied. Something that reminded you of home sounded good right about then. Food suddenly was less of an issue. 

She only stared at you. Your heart sank; she'd clearly never heard of it. Dread began to fill your chest - hopefully she didn't think you were weird. 

"Um... Never mind. Warm tea, please?" you replied. It came out as more of a question than you'd intended, as apparently this place had never had dandelion milk. 

She smiled tightly. "That'll be right out," she said, then hurried into the kitchen.

You watched her go. You bit your lip and glanced over your shoulder out the window. Maybe you should leave... But then, no where else seemed that it would be any more comfortable. 

"I believe we met earlier, dearie," a Scottish voice said behind you. You turned around to see Mr. Gold sitting in a booth by the window, a paper in his hand and a mug on the table. He offered a small smile. "Pardon my rude behavior, I was in a bit of a rush."

"It's no trouble," you said with a smile of your own in return. Had he seen what had happened a moment ago? Doubtless. 

"May I ask your name?" he asked.

"(Y/N)," you replied, walking towards him. "It's nice to meet you," you said. You sat down in the booth across from him, hoping he didn't find it too weird. He had laid his paper down and was looking at you, as if confused. Maybe curious. With a slight tremble in your voice, you posed the question that had been nagging at you: "A lot of people around here seem to find it odd that I'm here. Why?"

He tapped a finger on the top of the paper, still staring at you. You attempted to meet his gaze evenly, but it was a bit intimidating. You glanced down at where his finger laid. Storybrooke

"It's an obscure town. Not many people find it." He took a sip of his coffee and looked back down at his paper, obviously not interested in talking much more than that. 

You looked outside and tried to pushed the conversation further. "That's what I've been looking for, I guess."

The elderly woman came back and set a dainty cup full of tea down. She leaned down towards you and whispered, "Mr. Gold isn't exactly the kind of man you want to be hanging out with. I reckon you find someone else to talk to."

You glared at her retreating back, then stared at your tea. It didn't hold much appeal, though you supposed you had to drink it. You were going to pay for it, after all. You couldn't help the words that fell from your lips: "People suck." 

He laughed lightly for the first time.

The door behind you opened and closed. You looked over your shoulder to see a young boy with brown hair holding a big brown book. As soon as his eyes met yours, he hurried towards you. Your heart quickened, but you tried to remind yourself that he was young. Still a kid. There was no way that he would know. 

"(Y/N), I have some questions for you. First, how did you get here?"

"Wait, what? Dude, slow down. Who are you?"