Chapter 17

bless this website ~ http://everythingonceuponatime.weebly.com/storybrooke-timeline.html

"Do you know about any of that stuff happening with Mary Margaret?" you asked, curious. When you'd been waiting for him in the hospital, you'd overheard a couple of nurses talking about a John Doe who had woken up after years. Now he was supposedly involved with Mary Margaret in one way or another, but you certainly weren't about to ask your friendly neighbor yourself. 

You explained all this to him, also confessing the worries that you had about her getting mixed up with a married man. Mr. Gold didn't seem to find it as significantly terrible as you did. 

"I can't say that I'm involved," he said once you'd finished. "But I have a feeling that I will be."

You cocked your head. "Why do you say that?" 

He had been released from the hospital not long ago, and now he leaned heavily on his cane and gripped your hand tightly. You were heading back to his shop, for reasons unknown. Though you supposed that it was quite obvious - it was his shop. But wouldn't he want to get home first? 

"If the situation between the two gets any worse, I may have to provide my legal advice." 

"You? A lawyer?" 

"Indeed, dearie." 

This was news. Odd, but surprisingly fitting. You snuck a glance at him, trying to imagine him in a courtroom. With that image in mind, you decided that you probably knew why he had switched to pawnbroking. The performance aspect of a lawyer's job didn't seem to suit him. 

"Well, I hope that doesn't take time away from us," you teased. 

He smiled. "Of course not."

He opened the door for you at the entrance to his shop, then followed you inside. It was silent and still, and it seemed odd to you how different it was after just a short time of his absence in the building. He moved to the back of the store behind the counter. 

"If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go change." 

"Sure, go ahead." 

"Would you like anything to change into?" 

"I'll just change when I go home. But thank you." 

He nodded and disappeared behind a curtain. You looked around the room again, wondering what secrets you'd be able to find in the pawnshop. Maybe a few decor pieces, at least. 

You allowed yourself to walk around a bit, admiring the many items that adorned the shelves and display cases. Some stuff was more dusty than others, and other items seemed that they had been handled or cleaned recently. Most of the things that you stopped to admire seemed of high quality or particular value. Looking around, you wondered on what the entire shop might be worth. 

"What do you think, dearie?"

"Where did you even get all this stuff?" 

"Collection. Most of it doesn't have value..." He pulled a small box from the counter and held it out towards you. "...But some things do." 

You raised an eyebrow and stepped towards him, eyeing the box. What exactly was he giving you? Was it what you thought it was? He popped open the lid, and it was what you had suspected - a dainty little ring with one big stone and smaller ones on the sides. 

(rough ideas - i fell in love with these when i searched it for ideas so choose one haha

(rough ideas - i fell in love with these when i searched it for ideas so choose one haha. also sorry for putting pictures in the middle of the story, i don't usually like to but i wanted the references and i wanted to avoid spoilers at the beginning as well)

"What's this for?" you asked, inspecting it. Maybe he was just showing it to you? It was very beautiful after all; maybe he wanted to show you a prized possession. 

"For you, dearie." You looked up at him. "As a thank you. For being with me in the hospital, and... And treating me as a man." 

"You don't have to give me anything, though. I-It's the least I could do, after all you did for me." 

"No, no, please take it," he replied, taking your hand. He took the ring out and slipped it on your finger has he continued, "It was my mother's. After she died and my father left me, I kept it. I knew I'd find someone special to give it to." 

You smiled at him. "I'm not that special." 

"But you are, dearie." 

You tucked your hair behind your ear, but it fell forward as soon as you did. He reached out and did it for you. It stayed that time. You blushed and smiled at him. He continued to hold your hand and put one hand on your waist. 

"W-What are you doing?" 

"Would you care to dance with me?" 

"Okay." You weren't particularly fond of dancing, but you didn't want the moment with him to end, nor did you like the idea of denying him when he'd opened up to you like that. You couldn't really imagine why he had told you about his mother, but you'd rather liked to see the more personal side of him. 

"Say it."

"Say what?"

"My name. You haven't."

"Adam...?"

He smiled and spun you around. Your fingers trailed across his shoulder as you separated from him. As the shop twirled around you, blurring so that he was the only thing there, you could feel his gentle eyes on you, compassionate as you never thought they could be. You spun back into his arms and put your hand on his chest. The room glowed a little brighter.

"I'm glad you're the only person I told," he murmured, drawing you against him once more.

"The only person? Really?" you asked, replacing your arm around his shoulders.

He smiled. "Really, dearie." His finger gently tapped your nose once, then ran across your lips. "Will you promise never to tell?"

You nodded. "I promise, Adam."