Chapter 36

"I promise." Adam ran his fingers through your hair and leaned closer to you. Your eyes were closed, and you didn't open them. You knew it was him—the way his fingers wound into your hair, the way his gentle voice drew the negativity away from you. 

"Promise what?" you asked, pulling him closer by his jacket.

He didn't answer, and instead whispered,"I love you more than anything."

"Adam."

He took his fingers from your hair. You reached out to where you thought he would be, but instead found yourself touching air. "Don't go."

"Adam!" 

You lurched into a sitting position and found yourself trembling. You felt like you'd just lost something. Your face felt hot and sticky. You glanced around the car, but all you saw was Rumple leaning back against the seat. He was staring at you, then glanced away when your eyes met his.

Disappointment was an understatement. You swallowed a lump in your throat and relaxed against the seat once more, still feeling his gentle touch on your hair. You closed your eyes and tilted your head back. You wanted to cry. 

"Adam... Was... He the man from Storybrooke?" Rumple asked quietly. 

You opened your eyes and felt your insides burn. You didn't want him to know, and you were angry with yourself for saying anything. "No. Well, yes. I mean... I-I dunno. Anyway, it's nothing. Um... Where'd the other two go?" 

"To get food," he replied. "Y-You may go as well."

"I'm not hungry," you said, thinking of the dream again. The touch had felt so vivid, so real that it was hard to believe that it was only a dream. You looked at him, his fingers trembling. He looked deep in thought. "Rumple?"

He balled his hand into a fist, then stretched it out as laid it against his knee. "Hm."

"Do you ever get the feeling that you've known someone before? Maybe in another life or something?" You looked over at him, turning your body so that you'd feel closer. His face was pale, his eyes were wide. You kept going, afraid you sounded crazy. "L-Like, their face and their words mean something to you. You know that they're familiar, but it's more than that. I-It's almost like you were cursed with not being able to remember them. You know there's something there... You just... Can't place what it is."

His voice exploded into your verbal thought process. He put his hands on your neck suddenly, and you got the same feeling - his familiarity. "Yes! (Y/N), I know exactly what you mean."

You put your hands on his wrists. "It sounds crazy, but... I feel like I know you."

He looked like he might cry. He tucked your hair behind your ear. "Oh, love... I want you to remember."

"'L-Love'?" You swallowed, remembering that same word spoken to you by Adam. It seemed to echo through your chest, ringing in your ears. 

He leaned closer, and you did too. You could feel it, somewhere deep down, you knew him. But nothing could ever explain where from. Your fingers found his chin, and they ran across the light stubble. Your eyes met his dark brown ones and it was all you could do not to touch him everywhere you could possibly touch. All you wanted to do was escape time with him and discover who he was. His hands slipped from your neck to your chest and waist, his breath hot on your lips. You couldn't believe that an action so familiar could feel so new. You didn't know him, it was true, but you wanted to give in to his every movement. Your chest pressed against his and you tilted your head to meet his lips as he bent over you.

"(Y/N)?"

You jerked away from him as the door opened. His hand was still on your wrist as you turned away.

"(Y/N), darling, you're awake. Are you hungry?"

"N-Not really," you spluttered, your heart still racing from Rumple's touch. You wanted to fall into him, to feel him against you again. But you pulled your hand away.

She took a step back, then frowned. "What in heaven's name were you doing?"

"I-I was... Looking for my book," you lied.

"With Rumple?"

"He knew where it was."

She grunted and picked her wallet up from the front seat. "You should get out and stretch your legs, at least. It'll probably still be a couple hours before we're there."

You nodded and bit your lip. You watched her walk away, then glanced back at Rumple, leaning against the seat once more. He smiled lightly.

"She certainly has a knack for ruining the moment," Rumple said.

You laughed lightly. "Yeah, it is one of her strong suits."

He smiled, then touched your fingers one by one. "Shall we...?"

You felt your cheeks grow warm. You looked back to where Cruella was walking back into the restaurant. "I... I don't know."

He put his hand over yours. You looked up at him and bit your lip. "Let's - what did she call it? - Stretch our legs." 

"Okay. Sure, okay." 

You climbed out of the car and crossed your arms against the cold. Your breath came out in clouds when you breathed out, and goosebumps broke out across your skin almost immediately. 

You had no idea what to say to him, and you get the feeling that he didn't know, either. 

"You remind me of him," you said quickly, quietly. 

He looked at you sharply. 

"The more I'm with you, the less it hurts. Is that weird?" 

He shook his head slowly. "No... Not at all." 

He wrapped his hands around your waist. You pulled him closer by his jacket and let him press you up against the car. He kissed your nose, then tucked your hair behind your ear. 

"Perhaps, dearie, if you find yourself remembering... You'll know just why the pain diminishes."