Chapter 10

i know i've said it like five times already but i'll say it five times more - i could not be more impressed that so many people have been reading and continue to read a rumple x reader just thanks

You headed back to town once you'd finished looking at all the boats, Mr. Gold still holding your hand gently. You found yourself finding his touch familiar - his soft fingertips and callused knuckles. But you couldn't place the feeling, so you didn't say anything more. After all, how would he possibly believe something like that?

He spoke up: "So tell me, are you enjoying your stay, dearie?"

You looked up from the ground and smiled at him. "I am, thank you."

"Glad to hear it," he said with a smile. "Now, may I treat you to dinner?"

You stopped. He did, too, then turned around and gazed at you, his brown eyes confused. You looked down for a moment, trying to put the words you wanted to say into a sentence that didn't sound rude. You could feel his eyes on you, gentle and probing. His fingers still held yours, but you were a farther distance from him now.

"Why are you being so generous?" you asked finally.

"I want to assure that you know you're not alone."

You frowned at him, not upset but not pleased with his answer. "May I ask you a question?"

He nodded, leaning on his cane as if expecting it to take a while.

"Forgive me if I'm wrong, and curse me if I offend you in anyway. But... You don't seem like the most appreciated man in this town. The most respected, possibly. It's just that no one seems to like you. Why?"

He pursed his lips, the dropped your hand. Slowly, he said, "Well, dearie, I haven't always been the kindest or most giving man - one might say I've got more than my share of darkness in my heart."

You cocked your head. "And that's what I don't understand. You've only been generous to me."

"I suppose I'll leave it at saying that you and I have crossed paths before. You don't remember now... But you will."

"You sound insane, Mr. Gold," you confessed.

He sighed, then turned to go. "I'm aware."

"I didn't say I didn't believe you," you added.

He glanced over his shoulder. You smiled at him. "Allow me to treat you to dinner, and I won't tell the Mayor that you've gone mad."

He smirked. You hurried to catch up with him, then replaced your hand back in his. He wrapped his fingers around yours, running his thumb across your knuckles. You glanced over at him. His head was down, his limp still heavy but seemingly less burdensome. It was possible that the reason people had warned you about him was simply because of his age - he was, after all, significantly older than you. But you pushed it aside, deciding that if he claimed that you'd known him before, it could be true. It was near impossible, but you wanted to believe. Stranger things had happened to you.

Dinner was flawless, the only peculiarity being that Granny didn't give you or Mr. Gold a hard time. You found it odd, but didn't want to point it out as you sat across him him, contentedly drinking lemonade with your head resting on the back of the booth. Afterwards, he walked you home, teasing you about anything he could think of.

"The stars here are really bright. Back where I come from, the streetlights are so bright that they blot out the stars."

"Speaking of, where are you from?"

You shrugged, the grinned. "Guess."

"New York?"

You shook your head.

"Florida?"

"Nu-uh."

"Texas?"

"Nope."

"Minnesota."

"Wrong again."

"Washington."

"Close."

"Oregon?"

"Closer."

"California."

You smiled and nodded. "Yep. All the way from the opposite coast."

"Certainly, you jest?"

"'Jest'," you repeated, giggling. "That's a dated word."

"I'm a classy man, (Y/N)."

"You certainly are, Mr. Gold."

He stopped at the entrance to the apartment building. "Will I see you tomorrow, dearie?"

"It... Could be arranged," you teased, pretending to think about it, though you'd been hoping that he'd suggest it. "Pick me up?"

"I'd be glad to," he replied, smiling.

You hesitated for a moment, and he did too. Then you got on your tiptoes and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. Then you turned and walked into the building. "Bye, Mr. Gold."

"Good night, love."