Chapter 18

"I should go home..." you said, closing your eyes. Your head was resting on his shoulder, and you really didn't want to leave, but you knew that you should. He probably needed privacy after staying in the hospital for so long, and you hadn't been to your own home in days, anyway. But being here with him... You really wouldn't mind if you never left his side. Everything was so perfect, so right. After the dance, it was just a simple collapse onto the couch before you had melted into his arms. All you had to do was lay there. 

"Stay," he murmured, his fingers trailing down your arm. 

You wanted to so badly. You pressed your body closer to him and adjusted your head against his shoulder, content for the first time in what felt like forever. His touch on your arm was so comforting that you felt like the stars had alighted on your skin. You knew that you would fall asleep soon. Every breath he took, you found yourself drifting between reality and fantasy, being pulled deeper into a story that you weren't sure you had dreamed or lived...

Your eyes flew open to the sound of a phone ringing. You searched for a clock, but there was nothing. Not that you could see in the dark, anyway. 

He shifted next to you and pulled his phone out. 

"Hello? ... Ms. Mills, it is eleven at night. ... I don't want you calling my number past eight. ... I don't need to defend my motives, dearie, I simply ask that you respect my time. ... I'm going to hang up, and I'm going to suggest that you don't call my number again. Please." 

He clicked his phone off and set it on the table, then sighed and leaned closer again. 

"She's not very polite," you commented, fingering his tie. 

"She certainly is not," he agreed, putting his hand over yours against his chest. 

He was close enough that you could kiss him. Your heart thumped as you thought of the idea. All you had to do was crane your neck just a bit further, and - 

Ring, ring ring...

He let out a huff of breath and stood up, grabbing the phone as he did. He offered you a hand, and you took it. 

"Looks like I need to have a little chat with the mayor," he grumbled. 

Though it was abrupt, you followed him as he walked outside and to his car. You climbed into the passenger seat as he cranked the keys in the engine. 

"You're okay with me taking you home?" he asked. 

"That's fine." 

"I'm... I'm s-sor... I apologize for Regina's rude behavior." 

You shrugged and leaned back, exhaustion creeping into your mind. "Not your fault. Besides, I haven't been to my house in a couple of days. I should check on things." 

"What things might those be?" he asked. 

"My... Potted plants...?" you offered, though you had none. 

He smiled. "Well, dearie, I surely wouldn't want your plants to die." 

You wondered if he knew you were joking, but you guessed it didn't really matter either way. But that got you thinking that maybe you would get some houseplants. Or, better yet, a pet. "I should get a dog." 

"A dog?" 

"A dog." 

"Why ever would you want a dog?" 

"They're cute." You thought about it. "Though I suppose if I spend this much time with you I certainly wouldn't have time for one." 

He smiled over at you as he pulled up to the curb alongside the apartment building. You couldn't help but smile back at him, wondering how you had managed to meet him when you'd simply left your old home on a whim, hoping that you'd be able to start a better life. Now, maybe you could. You opened the door and climbed out, then leaned over to look through the window.