Chapter 22

seriously i might just publish the ten chapters leading up to the climax in like two days so we can finally actually get to the good part but the whole thing is gonna be like fifty chapters wow

You stepped away from the window and found yourself terrified. Something was brewing in the plans of Adam and Regina, and it had something to do with both you and Cornelius. 

Your past echoed around you like you were in the middle of a theater and the audience was screaming from every angle. Magic, wings, spells, potions. Companionship, romance. What was it that you felt? What was it that you remembered? A history with a man darker than the blackest night. And yet that was so much further from anything you knew him as...

The door opened, and you pressed yourself against the wall. Regina walked out of the house and walked to her car, hardly even slowing as she passed the bike, which you'd foolishly dumped in the middle of the road. You watched the woman's face as she climbed into the vehicle - angry, calculating. The face of evil. 

"I know you're hiding out there, dearie." 

You looked up from Regina's retreating headlights to Adam, who stood in the doorway. His silhouette was mysterious, leaning on his cane and wearing a long coat. He almost looked like something out of a story, but you knew that escaping what you had gotten yourself into was too good to be true. 

You slipped away from the wall and to the bottom of the steps, suddenly feeling self-concious. Adam - an elderly man, a powerful man, a judgmental man. You bit your lip and struggled to keep your eyes on his figure. 

"I see you got my note," he said. 

"Y-Yes." You said it too hesitantly. 

"What ever is the matter, dearie?" 

"Nothing." You said it too quickly. 

"Come up here," he offered. 

You couldn't exactly decline. You climbed the steps to where he stood, finding yourself surprised when your eyes met his. They were brown, as usual, but now there was a determined set to them - mechanical and all business. 

"Um... I-I don't know... I mean, I can go," you stuttered. 

He gently took your hand. "You mustn't be afraid." 

"What were you talking about? W-With Regina?" 

"It... It's nothing you should worry about. Would you care to come inside?" 

You looked over your shoulder at the dark forest that surrounded the place and tried to imagine what deal had just been struck. He seemed to want to keep it secret, almost as if it made him uncomfortable. And yet it scared you; you felt out-of-place knowing that there was something big that you didn't know. 

He pulled you closer to him and wrapped his arm around your shoulders. "Please trust me, (Y/N). I'll tell you when necessary." 

"Okay." You took a deep breath and leaned into him. "Okay." 

"Don't worry, love." 

"'Love'?" 

He ushered you into the grand house and held you close to him, moving slowly. Your eyes caught motion, and he slipped a small object into the inner pocket of his jacket (a second one, apparently, as you still had one of his wrapped around you). You stared at his chest for a moment, wondering what it was that he'd hidden. Then you glanced up at him. His lips were drawn in a tight line, his brow furrowed. While you were scared of what this supposed deal was, you were also scared of his reaction. 

"You can tell me, Adam," you said, turning in front of him. 

"No..." he murmured, tucking your hair behind your ear. "I can't." 

"Am I going to get hurt?" you asked. 

"Never, so long as I have something to do with it." 

"Regina scares me." 

"Regina won't get to you, dearie." 

He ran his hands down your sides and pulled you against him for a kiss. You leaned into him as he ran one hand through your hair and kept the other against your hip. Yes, you were left in the dark, but with him next to you and your past behind you and your future ahead of you, you could face uncertainty. 

He pulled away for a moment. Your eyes met his as he held up a small piece of paper. He smiled,  tapped your chest with it, slid it into the pocket of the jacket you had on. Then he cupped your cheeks and pressed his lips to yours once more. 

Ignore it, you thought to yourself, trying to get over the confusion. Just be here with him. 

He pushed you against the wall and ran his hands down your chest and stomach. You found your fingers moving across the buttons of his shirt, hesitating but wanting it. The tips of his fingers were light against your skin, breezing over your collarbone and neck and jawline. 

"Perhaps," he breathed, "We should go to the bedroom." 

You smiled and kissed him again, only to have him pull you down the hallway. His lips didn't leave yours for a second. You tore the jacket off your shoulders, then tossed it to the floor as he laid you down on the bed. 

The note, which you wouldn't read until the next morning, was all you needed to fall into complete and total trust. 

(Y/N), 

I do believe that I've fallen for you all over again.

A.G.