Chapter 20

Rumplestiltskin's P.o.V.

"Gold. Gold! Gold? Rumplestiltskin - "

I lifted my head from next to (Y/N)'s to find my eyes landing on Regina. (Y/N) stirred next to me, and I put my hand on her shoulder in an attempt to keep her from waking. It worked; she sighed and smiled in her sleep. 

"What do you want?" I asked as I sat up. 

"So you've found another girl." 

"How many times must I reiterate the fact that my personal affairs aren't yours to muse over, Miss Mills?" 

She put her hands on her hips. "There's magic in this town." 

I suddenly felt more exhausted. I really didn't want to be having this conversation - any conversation - with her right now, and (Y/N)'s sleeping figure next to me was doing nothing to help my desire to speak with the mayor. 

"I'm aware of the fact, dearie." 

"No, you're not. Light magic - fairy magic. It could threaten the town." 

I glanced at the clock. It was four in the morning. She had no right to be in my shop or speaking to me at this hour. I stood up and took a step towards her. 

"Are you sure Miss Swan isn't the source of your discomfort?" 

"Gold. You know something. What is it?" 

"You are not at liberty to be asking me such questions." 

"I have a freedom of speech, I'm the mayor of this town." 

I narrowed my eyes at her. "You're also trespassing. I suggest that you leave, Regina. Please." 

She glared at me. for a moment. "This isn't over, Rumple." 

She then whirled around and stormed out the door. I watched the door slam shut, cringing as the loud noise echoed through the building. My eyes wandered out the window. (Y/N) was a fairy, and so was that... Cornelius. The two of them could end up making a mess in the small town of Storybrooke. They had come from the outside world, another section of the Land Without Magic that was somehow able to preserve magic. If they were to use that magic... 

I scribbled a quick note, then slipped it into the pocket of my jacket, which was draped over the back of the couch. I took the article of clothing in my hand, then shook (Y/N) awake. 

"A-Adam?" Her voice was thick and sleepy. 

"Come on, (Y/N), we need to get you home." 

"Is something wrong?" 

I wrapped the jacket around her shoulders, then knelt next to her. "I need you to go home, okay? I'll come get you as soon as possible." 

"Come get me? Adam, what's going on?"

I couldn't explain this to her, not now. Panic was flitting about my chest. I had to deal with this magic in the town, one way or another. Cornelius was a threat. I had to do something about it. I couldn't loose her again... "I'll tell you later. Please, just listen to me." 

She nodded and slipped her arms into the jacket, then stood up. I took her hand and pulled her out the door. She was nimble for still being half-asleep, and her eyes were wide and confused as we drove. It was a short drive to her apartment building, neither of us saying anything. We were the only car out on the road. When I pulled up out front, she looked like she might cry. 

"(Y/N)?" 

"Did I do something wrong?" she asked quietly. 

"Of course not." I leaned over and gave her a light kiss, then took her hand. "Everything will be fine. I promise." 

She looked at me for a moment, her eyes reflecting both trust and doubt. But she nodded. 

"Okay. Okay. I'll see you soon." 

"You will. I love you." 

"I... I love you, too." 

She turned and hurried into the building, and I let out a heavy breath when she disappeared from sight. I grabbed my phone and dialed a number, my fingers shaking. She would get something out of this, too. But what was it?

"Regina?" 

I lead her down the staircases and into the garden, holding my hand to the side for her to hold as she walked. It wasn't particularly romantic, more of a gentlemanly gesture, but I was acutely aware of her touch on my skin and how close she stood to me. 

The flowers were blooming and the sun was just beginning to dip behind the mountains that surrounded the castle. I glanced over at her, still looking shaken from the idea of Cornelius coming to take her back. 

"You needn't be so afraid, dearie," I said. 

She offered a small smile. "I'm... Sorry." 

I turned to her. "Don't worry. He won't get you. I promise." 

She nodded and wrapped her arms around me. Her entire body was pressed against mine. My heart was beating surprisingly fast. Slowly, I gave her a hug in return. 

"Thank you. For everything." 

"M-My pleasure." My voice cracked when I said it. Embarrassed (of all things to feel), I cleared my throat and took a step away from her. "Would you like anything?" 

She looked slightly hurt, but then she smiled again and it went away. "Not at the moment, but thank you."  

I nodded. "Well, I'll get back to spinning, if I can't do anything for you." 

"May I come?" 

"No." She blinked. "I-I mean, not now. I need some time to... To think." 

"Okay. Then... I'll be here for a while." 

I turned around and walked back into the castle. Why couldn't I think straight when she was so close to me? What was it about her that was so different? I'd never felt that way with anyone, not even with Milah. She was special, and perhaps she was in my life for a reason. I knew that I would do anything to protect her from Cornelius. 

I settled down at the wheel and began feeding straw into it. In my mind, I began to concoct a potion that she might drink to keep her protected. The question was, how powerful was the fairy magic that Cornelius harnessed? What from I'd seen, it was a surprising amount - more than the average fairy. 

Then I heard her scream. 

I flashed myself back into the garden to see her being dragged away by Cornelius and a horde of fairies. I lashed out with every spell I could think of, but nothing was strong enough to take them down before they disappeared. 

She should have been with me...

it's getting to the good part!!1! cliffhanger + foreshadowing is my favorite :)))