Target

When the roar died down, I rose slowly to my feet. I watched as Corbin's eyes gradually came back into focus. He looked almost regretful as he turned and started back toward his seat.

"The target is established, the verdict rendered; Isolde, Corbin, go now and prepare. Filia, you depart at dawn."

Nodding once, I did the only thing left for me to do; I went to my room. Barely hearing the chanting signaling the end of the ceremony, I pushed open the double doors and started up the spiral stairs. Ignoring the stares that quickly averted as I passed by, I slipped into my room. No sooner had I shut the door behind me, the first flash of our bond struck me. Staggering forward, I clutched the bedpost in white knuckled grip.

"Dammit Corbin!" I hissed through a clenched jaw.

His mischievous laughter told me he knew exactly what he was doing. The not so subtle vibration racing through my veins made it hard to concentrate; and the bastard knew that.

'Knock it off Corbin!'
'Oh c'mon amator, loosen up.'

Shaking my head to clear the dizzying haze, I sent the most violent emotion I could manage. His yelp of surprise and pain confirmed my success.

'I am not your lover now stay out until I call you, inanimis!' I hissed, feeling him cringe at the insult.

The hum slipped away on the wind leaving me with an unpleasant hollow feeling. Passing the blame onto my demonic half –nature, I went about preparing for the task at hand. Gathering up what I considered normal clothing, I stared longingly at the dark colors. Anything that would get me out of these accursed dresses I was forced to wear was a step in the right direction. A crackling electrical sound across the room caught my attention. Turning toward the sound, I recognized the familiar surge of energy and the rush of what resembled the sound of flapping wings.

"Yes father?" I asked as his form materialized from the flock of conjured ravens.

I got this visit before each "hunt"; always the same.

"Isolde, I don't need to stress how important it is for you and Corbin to get along."

His tone was stern yet concerned; just as any father would be I assumed.

"I know it is, just like it was important on the last one," I muttered bitterly under my breath.

"Filia, this is only your third hunt. There is no need for that tone."

The atmosphere popped and snapped as his anger flared. He took a step forward, the crimson ring surrounding his coal black eyes springing to life with otherworldly vibrancy. My head dropped automatically out of both submission and respect as I murmured out an apology.

"Doleo."

I felt his hand brush my cheek as the wrath in the air faded.

"Filiole, you know it's only because I care. You are my venator yes, but, more importantly, my blood runs in your veins. You are all that shall remain of me one day."

He spoke with such sorrow and gentleness; a side very few saw. With a sigh, I forced a smile and a nod.

"Patrem, I know you care."

He smiled, pulling me into a hug; a gesture rarely seen within his domain.

"Then rest my child. Your consors shall meet you in the morning at dawn."

In a blur of onyx wings, he was gone; leaving me alone with the scent of brimstone and feeling of impending doom.

'Always so negative.'

I huffed as the scent of overpowering cologne invaded my nostrils.

"You know we're not supposed to use the link here Corbin," I spat without turning around.

The rush of golden sand told me who had entered my room. Curiosity got the better of me however, causing me to turn. The sight forced an exasperated sigh from my mouth. Lounging on my bed was the shirtless son of Death.

"What exactly do you want?" I asked with my hands on my hips.

He shrugged, looking just as bored as earlier.

"Just came to see how my coeunt was. Is that a crime?" he purred with a smirk.

I pinched the bridge of my nose in frustration.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure 'coeunt' isn't the word dad used," I hissed.

In the blink of an eye, he was before me, green eyes flecked with gold boring into me.

"Then what word would you rather I use Isolde?"

He spoke my name like a promise; a promise I didn't want him to keep.

"Consors...please," I bit out through clenched teeth.

He snorted but backed away.

"Partner, that's cute. Keep telling yourself that babe."

A second swirl of golden sand left me alone once again; only this time, my body quaked with unfamiliar emotion.

amator- lover
inanimis- soulless
Doleo- I'm sorry
Filiole- Dear child
Patrem- Father
consors - partner
coeunt - mate