Room 44

I felt more than heard him respond; our bond pulling and tugging at my sanity.

'My turn,' he purred in my mind.

I shuddered at the pleasure he seemed to be taking in this. Cursing myself as I heard him chuckle; once again forgetting how much we shared while bonded.

'You would know all about what I find...pleasurable...wouldn't you Isolde?'

Rolling my eyes I sat back down on the bench.

'Sadly my room is far too close to yours and my walls far too thin so, yes Corbin, I would know.'

'Just jealousy talking doll. Now listen up.'

I scoffed but managed to stay silent.

'I got us a room at 42nd and Drayton. It's under Corbin Veritan so just ask for the key.'

'Thank you, oh mighty leader,' I mocked his authoritative tone.

'Keep it up. You can sleep on the floor filia tenebris.'

I tensed at his choice of adjective. Everyone knew my dad's reputation so naturally, it was passed onto me without second thought. I really was a gentle soul despite being the "daughter of darkness." Rising to my feet, I let our link guide me to the hotel. Pushing through the doors brought on a rush of new colors and auras. The golden sheen of the lobby's interior was an assault on my darkness acclimated eyes, yet I somehow made my way to the front desk.

"Can I help you?" a soft voice asked.

Blinking, I fought to see past the blinding silver shadow surrounding the woman; sorrow filled yet hopeful was a rare color to say the least. She was young but her eyes held age well beyond the physical years.
"I'm supposed to pick up a key. My...friend...already made reservations." I squirmed internally at my stumble.

"What's his name?" she asked with what I took as a knowing smile.

"It's Corbin Veritan," I said through gritted teeth.

I watched the grin spread across her lips as she typed something in on the computer. I had to shake my head as I imagined the scenario that was playing out in her mind.

"Looks like you're in room 44," she smiled and handed me the key card.

I turned and started for the elevator, muttering under my breath.

"Feel free to use a luggage cart," she called after me.

I gave her a wave and my biggest, most fake smile.

"Thanks but he already got it."

She looked at me with a confused expression, reminiscent of dad's hell hounds; head tilted to the side.

"He didn't have any with him," she murmured.

"Yeah, he's fast like that," I replied, pushing the button to close the elevator doors.

What was I say?

'Oh don't worry, black fire and sand brought it for us.'

Yeah, that would go over well.

With a ding, the door parted, leaving me with a clear view of room 44.

"So...room 44," I murmured to the empty hallway.

"The room one of us will probably die in."

Swiping the key, the rush of cold air hit me. Immediately I felt the surge of rage as I scanned the room.

'Dammit Corbin!'

There was only one bed and his laughter rang clear and true in my mind. This only solidified the fact that this was no accident.

"Yeah...one of us is going to die in here."