Forever

The screams of agony and heartbreak rang through the trees but I felt nothing. The rain stilled and even the wind seemed to hold it's breath. Blinking, I stared down at the scene before me. Corbin pulled the point of the sai from my chest and roared to the sky as he pulled my lifeless body onto his lap. Reaching forward, I gasped as my hand passed through his face. Was this truly how it ended? A strangled sob bubbled up in my throat as I watched Corbin beg and plead for me to wake up.

"It had to be done child."

The soft, melodious voice behind me drew me away from the tortured scene before me. Her raven hair fell down her back and her ice blue eyes seemed to pierce my very soul. She closed her eyes briefly and I stood in awe as two golden wings rose from behind her. With a smile she extended her hands; her palms resonating with an otherworldly glow.

"You have endured life in darkness; out of blood and death you shall rise."

Corbin's cry pulled my attention away from my mother and back toward the scene of my demise. My body began to fade and lose substance even as he struggled to keep hold on the mist. With what sounded like a final gasp, my form flowed away on the wind. Without warning, a searing pain erupted along my shoulders. Frantically, I searched my mother's eyes for any explanation. Instead I found calm concentration and celestial light swirling in their depths. The burn was soon replaced by an unfamiliar weight at my back.

"They may have been tarnished by your father's bloodline but they have always been there Isolde; just beneath the surface."

With a smile, my mother lowered her hands and clasped them in front of her. I flexed my shoulders and caught sight of steel gray wings rising above my head.

Muriel stepped forward and brushed a strand of hair from my face with a somber smile. Her gaze shifted over my shoulder to the image of the weeping Corbin.

"His heart aches child and now in his mortal form, he lacks protection."

My brow furrowed in confusion as I turned to follow her line of sight.

"But what can I do?" I asked meekly.

Her smile widened and she pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"Every human needs a guardian angel."

Her voice became muffled and the world seemed to tilt on it's axis. I closed my eyes to fight down the wave of nausea and staggered; struggling to stand. Once the ground beneath me stabilized, I risked opening my eyes. In front of me Corbin had risen to his feet and seemed to stare down at the ground where I once lie. Blood covered his hands and his body language screamed exhaustion. Fighting back tears, I called out to him.

"Corbin," I whispered, stepping closer to him.

His back tensed and I watched his head raise; still he didn't turn to face me. Gaining courage I reached out a hand; silently fearing it would merely pass through him once again. With a soft gasp I let the tears fall as I felt the fabric of his shirt beneath my fingertips. Violently he spun and captured my wrist in a vice-like grip; confusion and sorrow raging in his eyes. Slowly his grip softened as his eyes searched my face as if seeing it for the first time. I smiled softly as I felt his hands cup my face; his forehead pressing into mine.

"Isolde...," he breathed my name like a promise; a promise I'd let him keep this time.

He was my charge and to my last breath I would protect him.

He pulled back and our gazes locked for what felt like eternity. A tear filled smile formed on his face as he reached to brush the feathers of my left wing.

"An angel," he murmured, stroking the soft down.

I shook my head and leaned forward, allowing my lips to hover just below his.

"Your angel," I whispered, letting him complete the kiss.

From Damned to dead to Celestial Light; we had been through it all.

Now all we had was forever.