Chapter 12

AN: Thanks so much Ame_Tasogare for commenting on the previous chapter! Enjoy!

-

Chapter 12:

The back garden of the Researchers' Clinic was really quite beautiful and peaceful. No wonder that Nitish and Biast were often found amongst the sweet fragrances of flowers and herbs. Roxbury had never really been the one to sit down and simply bask in the silence. He was used to moving about and strategizing his guild's next move.

However, since that 'incident' at the Lush Woodlands with the Sand Leviathan, he had been ordered by practically every one of his guild to stop and rest for a while.

Two days had passed since then. Roxbury's injuries had been healing nicely, though they were still lingering and causing him some annoyance. Three broken ribs; fractures in his femur, tibia, humerus and radius bones; bruising and lacerations of his arms and chest. He had a lot to complain about. He, however, would simply grit his teeth and bear it. After all, the outcome could have been a whole lot worse.

Leaning back into the seat that was situated out in the garden, Roxbury gently placed his hand upon the mop of white hair that was resting against his leg. Zoran was sleeping on the seat next to him, his head on his thigh, his little hands grasping at the material of his pants. The little vessel had been left greatly shaken by all harsh events that had taken place recently.

Zoran murmured something in his sleep, stirring restlessly. So Roxbury carefully stroked his hair, lulling him back to sleep. Which he thankfully did, nuzzling his cheek against his thigh.

Roxbury was glad that Zoran wasn't there to witness his...mauling by the Sand Leviathan. In fact, he was glad that he had foresight to send the little brothers of the guild to another location under Biast's watchful eye. He was fairly certain none of them would have been able to handle it. Sure, they have witnessed some terrifying monsters and events in their time, but they've never witnessed a savage beating like that.

Shame that Baldur had to see it. He seemed to be taking in stride, however. Which was...unfortunate.

In all honesty, Roxbury remember the whole incident vaguely. He remembered seeing the sand coloured dragon loom over Baldur and he remembered the powerful instinct to push the prince aside and take his place. After that, it was a bit of a blur. Only thing he could really comprehend was the intense desire to live.

Isiah had reassured him that it was his body's natural response mechanism. He was in danger, so he reacted to said danger. Flight or fight. Both, in his case. Fight back enough to escape. Taking in details, remembering events – they weren't important.

Varuna had admitted to him that he, too, vaguely remembered what happened that day. He remembered seeing Bryce attacked, blood coming from his neck seemingly in a spray before crashing to the ground, not moving. After that...take out the threat. Destroy everything that was a danger.

The Sand Leviathan, he confessed, didn't look like the one in the picture that Baldur showed him from the Monster Codex. He didn't remember seeing the red wings or its sandy coloured scales. He just saw the outline of it and felt its intense primal rage. And saw that Roxbury was in danger.

After that, he saw only its neck. The easiest way to take out a threat was to take off its head.

Roxbury was intensely grateful for Varuna's interference. He had saved his life. And potentially saved the lives of everyone there. But...he also felt a sense of guilt. He wished he could have been there to reassure Varuna when he suffered his breakdown.

Varuna insisted that he was fine now, but Bryce was still watching him like a hawk, more protective and concerned about him than usual. And Varuna had made no attempt to brush off the landsknecht. Obviously, some residual fear still lingered. And would for some time yet.