•As A Known Enemy•

It is another warm day in March and I'm stuck inside again. Well, it isn't as though I have much of a choice, those bills aren't magically paying themselves. Whatever. Maybe on my next break I can go outside for lunch. Oh rabbits, what was that order again? Right. Mocha latte with skim milk...

Charlie was glad to finally have her break for lunch, short as it may be, it could get awfully stuffy in Cafe Del Monaco - a name she thought sounded forced in itself. The menu decor written in french never deterred costumers, nor did the outdated interior or light dusting along the countertops.  The vintage pin-ups on the wall in plain view of the entrance, a cotton candy machine, and a jukebox that took more than a few hits to work sat in the corner, giving the place an old 'malt shop' feel instead of a Cafe.

The breakfast crowd always seemed to be the worst around here. Being in this part of the county nestled along the south Atlantic had it's perks when it came to jobs, college students were usually hired during winter, most stayed on due to the campus being within walking distance, and high school students were in and out during the summer. But Charlie needed this job full-time. She never had the opportunity to get accepted into college due to taking care of her mother and was opting for a course in Web Design instead.

Her parents were the usual working stiffs until her mother had a car accident a few years after she was born, her health becoming progressively worse as the years went on, which left her father as the sole person to provide for them. Her mother wasn't completely invalid, she had her good days and could walk but needed a cane for most days. However, her father lost his job a couple years ago over something utterly ridiculous, forcing them to scrimp and save.

She and her father were never on the best of terms, even less so now, she supposed she would never live up to her brother's standards. He always said he treated them equally, but she knew that wasn't the case. Had she been less opinionated as a child, or rather a boy who took exactly after his father, things might be different. But it hardly mattered now, she always knew she was born very different from the other members in her family. She could be intuitive and clever when people least expected it, always thinking away she supposed. Although, most things she kept to herself, as you sometimes had to when adults expected you not to know even close what they knew.