•Till You All Just Disappear•

Events follow after Thor: DW.

🎭🎭🎭

There was a knock at the door as Charlie finally put the kids to bed. Who could be visiting at this hour? She hoped it isn't an emergancy...

She could hear the faint rumble of thunder as rain begin to patter against the windows. A flash of lightening illiuminated the room as she glanced out the window, sighing when she didn't see anyone. Maybe they just stepped back to get out of the rain? She thought for a minute before deciding to unlock the door.

"Hello, Charlie." Greeted a familiar accented voice. She watched as a man stepped out of the shadows, wearing an even more familiar smirk.

She felt as if the breath had been knocked out of her.

How?

To just...return to my doorstep after a year and a half?

"Well? Are you going to let me in?" He asks, a bit slyly, but she can see it in his eyes that he's worried she will leave him out here, in the pounding rain. That she will yell insults and slam the door in his face. That she won't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Which is exactly what she does - minus the yelling insults.

I might have done just that years ago, but it's childish and why lower myself? Why give him the satisfaction? The smirking bastard.

Did he really think she would just accept him and act like nothing happened? How did he escape THIS time? Charlie finished locking the door, feeling a bit more sensible about the situation, and rested her head against the cool doorframe - trying to ease the headache that already started to form.

"You do realize..." Startled at the sudden presence behind her, she immediately turns around. "That hardly works when you are Loki Laufeyson?"

°°°°°

"So, how have you been?" He says casually.

Charlie shot him a glare. Obviously this isn't the answer he's expecting, and instead he sips his tea. His body language is tense and awkward - a big contrast from when she last saw him. She supposed she wasn't any better.

But I never expected him to even find me, let alone escape the prison he was in. Did Odin know about this? Are the Warrior's Three searching for him? If that is the case, why come to me?

"Stupid question, moving on," He gives her a weak smile as she waits for him to continue. "Can I see them?"

Charlie sighed, wondering if that would be a good idea. Isn't that chapter of her life closed? Will it be better if they didn't know him at all? In the end, she don't want to be one of those mothers who keep their children away from the father because of their own careless mistakes.

She eased open the door, the light from the hallway flooding in as Loki walked into the nursery ahead of her - taking in the fish night-light, the postcards from family, and colorful décor. His footsteps halting in uncertainty at the sight of the crib before him, she nods, telling him that they are sound sleepers and likely will not stir.

"What are their names?" He says softly, she tells him as he stands looking down at Anya, tucking the Minnie Mouse blanket closer to her chin. He then walks over to Thomas' crib, whose blue pokadot blanket is already up to his shoulder.

"They're...beautiful. Just like their mother."

"You must have really been in those dungeons for a long time." Charlie responded dryly, he winks.

"Can't I give the amazing mother of my children a compliment?"

"The grass would love this fertilizer..."

"Charlie -"

"What is it that you want?" Thomas shifted a bit in his crib; Charlie shut the door behind her quietly, not realizing how loud her voice was and walked back into the living room. "Look I don't mean to be rude, actually I do, but you haven't exactly earned the title of World's Best Dad."

He takes another sip of his tea, probably to gather his strength for what comes next rather than thrist.

"I know, but I came back to tell you...Well," He's hesitating, and she can tell whatever it is must be hard for him, but she can't seemed to stop fidgeting. "I'm staying."

Charlie's eyes widened a bit, she shook her head. He was seriously dodging her questions!

"But how did you get here? Won't they look for you?"

"It's a long story, Charlie. One I plan to tell you in the future, maybe." He says this as if he's talking to a person who has trouble understanding.

I hate that. What is the point of patronizing me? He can forget it because I'm not giving in this time.

"We have no future together! Loki, you can't just show up unannounced and think everything is going to be fine!"

He sets the mug down, ever the proper villain, and stands. His expression was perplexed, it seemed he really didn't know where to start.

"I just think you should give us a chance, I don't deserve it - I don't deserve any forgiveness, but we can at least try."

"Guilt does not work on me, how can I trust you again after what you did?"

"What will I have to do to make you trust me? Say the word and I will. The choices I made failed, the choices I am going to make will not," He finished with sincerity, but Charlie was having a hard time believing it. He IS a master at lying. "I have changed since you first saw me; I realized I didn't want to lose the last good thing in my life. Losing my mother taught me that things, people, we hold precious do not last forever."

Charlie pressed a hand to her mouth, feeling her heart sink.

Not Frigga.

Not the woman who treated me with so much respect and generosity? Who would gladly lend a kind ear without judgment?

"I'm sorry, I didn't know." Loki remained silent and she could see the lost still bothered him, as it would anyone.

"Don't be, it is over. The Dark Elves are no longer a threat and Asgard is safe once more."

"Is it? Will Asgard, or Midgard, ever be safe again?"

"You know can not promise that."

"Of course you can't! Just like you can't guarantee that you will always be there."

He cupped her face, forcing her gaze up to his. In that moment she felt as if there were a terrible emptiness inside of her, more concious of him than she had ever been of anything or anyone. The shine of green beneath his half-closed lids, that earthy scent of him just after it rains, the litter of faint white scars along his throat and hands.

He leaned toward her, his lips brushing against hers. For a moment their mouths were intwined, his hand tangled her hair...

That was until a particularly loud clap of thunder rang throughout the house, initiating a feint cry from the baby moniter.

"Your turn, dad."

"If that was Thor, I'm going to kill him."

°°°°°

A/N: Thanks for any votes and comments.