•Second to None•

🎭🎭🎭

Charlie stepped off the crowded bus and cut through a back alley, rubbing at her arms in a futile attempt to keep warm. The sun retreated behind thin clouds an hour ago, turning the March air frigid and bleak.

What a perfect time to forget my jacket, the wind's cutting like a knife!

On the way, Charlie smiled as an excited bark caught her attention from behind the old general store and local library. She ran over and bent down to pet the neighbors dog between a chain-link fence, the adorable Boston Terrier seemed very happy to receive some extra attention, licking her fingers and tail wagging inviting her to play. She felt a ping of regret as she thought about her first dog, just being near the little border collie had provided her with comfort unlike any other, especially during times of stress.

Charlie apologized to the disappointed Terrier for being tired and resumed her journey home. She stepped around a rusty work ladder for the millionth time (was Mr. Kendly ever going to finish those shingles?) and continued along the withered and weed-choked sidewalk leading to a white, medium sized one-story house. She liked this path best as it didn't directly lead to the main road where cars zoomed past without a care in the world. As an added bonus, it was nice exercise and quiet this time of evening.

When a large red bricked house loomed ahead to her left she took a deep breath and kept her head straight. Just a few more minutes, she told herself, a few more minutes and she wouldn't have to see it. Not until tomorrow, anyway. There sat the four-door, two year old Toyota she walked by time and time again. It had everything she wanted. Perfect for running errands or just a trip to the mall. Good mileage and no damage from previous accidents. However, it was too far out of her price range. Charlie nibbled at her lip, keeping her stride, and took out the house keys. She'd worried enough for one day.

No sooner than she sees a glimpse of home is her name called. She sighed inaudibly as possible and thought up a list of excuses. Jim came wandering up the curved hill that led to the back door, he must've parked out of view since she didn't hear him pull into the driveway.

"Hey, Char, what's up?" Freaking Char. Only he called her that. She was trying to think of it in a nostalgic light, but Charizard sounded absurd.

"Not much. Just got off from work, you?" Charlie readjusted her purse and finally faced him. Figured this was leading up to something and mentally prepared for it.

"Hanging out, you know how it is. Listen, uh, I got these tickets to a show on Friday. You wanna go, or nah?" To his credit, taking 'no' for an answer isn't an issue. Even if it took a bit of subtle teasing.