Chapter 7

(Sign Language)

"Well, are you finally going to tell your father and I or what?" Andre's mum demands.

"Spencer is not my father, he's my stepfather." Andre says. "Yes, I'm telling you what I do, but you can't tell anyone. It's technically against my contract to bring anyone other than Kendra into my room." His hand ruffled his hair. "I'm an undercover agent for a top secret organisation and this is my partner, Kendra." He introduced. I waved slightly before returning my gaze to the window.

"If I didn't know any better the way you two were acting Id say you're a honeymooning couple." She states. I noticed Spencer didn't say much.

"That's our cover." Andre explained. He wrapped an arm around my waist and kissed my temple. "Though, she is also my real life girlfriend." He told his parents. Spencer started signing and I realised why he wasn't speaking much.

"Congratulations Andre." He signs.

"Thank you Spencer." I sign in return.

"You can sign?" He asks me silently.

"Why of course, my father ensured that." I tell him.

"You know sign language?" Andre asks.

"I told you father considered teaching me every language as part of my," I paused trying to think of the right word, "training."

"Your father trained you, in what?" Andre's Mum asks, not knowing the chord she has struck.

"Killing." I reply firmly. A hand flies to her mouth.

"Killing?"

"Yes, he trained me to become an assassin, tell me, " a wicked smile spread across my face, "have you ever heard of the killer shadow?"

"Yes, an assassin that must face for their crimes!" She declares.

"Well, I am facing them, in an unexpected way." A hand flew to my head. This had been the longest I have gone without using my magic, which I depended upon using or I would get ill. That's why I killed after my Dad left. I felt faint and leaned onto Andre for support.

"Kendra?" Andre asks, panic evident on his face. I smashed a nearby vase by closing my fist. I got my second wind as some would call it and was able to stand on my own. Andre's mum let out a scream as the vase shattered.

"I'm fine, I just have to use my magic to survive and DAME has made me stop what has kept me alive." I tell him honestly.

"What?" Andre asks, staring into my eyes.

"From before I could walk my father has been teaching me magic. I have been using it for so long that I depend on using it. It's like when you take away internet and phones from a teenager and they suddenly can't survive." I tell him. "I have to use it at least once every two days."

"Then we will get a new vase for you to shatter every two days." He tells me, he cups my face then leans down and kisses me sweetly. "Mum, could you leave? We really have to leave and find this bad guy." He states pulling away from me.

"Please, call us." His mum begs leaving the room.

"Now that she's gone we need to inform DAME of two things." He tells me.

"What?" I inquire.

"Our relationship and your dependence on magic." He informs me. He grabs a phone from his pocket and dials HQ. "Commander Maier, you wanted me to continually keep you updated and there have only been two minor changes." He pauses. "First, Agent Agrona has a dependence on magic, if she doesn't use it every two days she becomes very faint and second Agent Agrona and I are in a romantic relationship." He pulled the phone away from his ear as Commander Maier was shouting. "Sir, she does not need to kill to sustain her need, shattering a vase was enough for her." He states calmly. "Yes sir, I know that romantic relationships between partners are frowned upon... Sir, do you remember why I applied to become an agent?" He paused. "Well, the girl I talked about, that was Agent Agrona, sir." He sighed. "Thank you sir." He hung up the phone and turned to me. "The Commander has allowed us to continue."

"Allowed?" I demand.

"Well, has approved." He tells me. "He also said he would send a new vase every two days for you."

"Thank you." I smile. "Let's go explore Rome shall we?" I ask holding out my hand for him to take, which he does gladly. We walk out and to the elevator. "Isn't today a lovely day darling?"

"It is my love." He replies happily. We walk towards where the fire was, acting like an in love tourist couple. "This is the place." He says stopping in front of a burnt building.

"This was an old client's home." I say, glancing at him. Then I remembered the other places. "In fact every place Firebane has attacked has been a client's home or place of business. I think Firebane is targeting me."