-Chapter Two-

The sun rose over the horizon, blanketing Tynder with bright compliments of orange and blue. The light reflected off the lake that scened in front of Silver's den.

Rays of thin yellow light streamed into her den, brightening her white face. Her translucent eyelids failed to protect her eyes from the light. Silver's eyes fluttered open, revealing silver irises in a white ocean.

She stood up and yawned, shaking her fur from a long and lonely night. The first thing she noticed was her remained hunger, which only ceased in her sleep.

Silver grunted and walked outside towards the edge of the waters. Thin sheets of ice still floated on the surface of some parts of the lake, and all the rest had melted.

Silver sat at the shore, glancing around at the first signs of spring. Blades of grass sprouted out of patches of snow. Puddles of melted freeze spotted the freshly green ground.

Silver sighed as she thought of what to do next. Most of her life was spent searching for a pack. That was her biggest priority. Now that she lost hope in finding a suitable pack, she wasn't sure what to do anymore.

Satisfying her hunger was a temporary priority. Food was all that filled her mind. Silver knew that she was growing weak from lack of food, and without strength, it would be impossible to protect herself from other predators.

Silver stood and pointed her muzzle to the sky. The scent of wet fur and flea-bitten hide filled her nose as she sniffed the air. The smell made her mouth water and eyes widen.

What smelled like wet dog to others, smelled like juicy meat to Silver. She immediately bolted to the source of the smell, running through the forest. Her desperation and hunger made her alertness diminish.

As the scent grew stronger, she slowed down. Silver soon caught sight of a caribou herd enjoying a fresh large pond. The water was deep, touching the animal's abdomens. She crouched low to the ground and scanned the large group for either a weakling or calf.

No calf or bull was around. The cows had all come to find a mate, and most likely a leader for their herd. Mating season was just around the corner, and Silver was far from ready for it.

Silver grew disappointed when she couldn't find a catchable meal. She turned to leave before she suddenly heard one of the cows moo in fear from across the pond.

Her ears perked up as she focused her attention back on the herd. The cows had been spooked, and bolted in Silver's direction. She gasped and ducked low in the mix of snow and grass.

The hooves of the animals nearly scraped her back. Once they passed, Silver opened her eyes and looked back at the passed caribou. Her breathing was heavy.

" Good kill, Tynders."

Silver's head turned at the voice, which came from a black alpha male wolf across the pond. He stood proudly over a lifeless caribou cow. His pack ate hungrily at his feet.

Silver could hear the ripping and tearing of the cow's hide as the wolves tore into its flesh, and she immediately grew jealous. Resisting revealing her position, Silver waited for the pack to finish so she could scavenge the leftovers.

Silver had never seen this pack before. The 'Tynders,' as their alpha called them, consisted of black, white, grey, and even brown wolves. Silver feared that she was visible. She sunk back deeper into the foliage.

One wolf from the pack, a white male, perked his head up from eating and looked in Silver's direction. He peered directly at her. Silver's heart sped up as she buried her head into her paws, praying that she wasn't seen as she presumed to be.

The male took a step forward as he lowered his head to sniff. Silver stayed as still as possible. So still that her heart beats were visible with the naked eye.

Silver was downwind from the male, causing her scent to be undetectable by the male's nose. The male snorted as his ear swiveled to face Silver. She was making absolutely no noise, but the male's actions showed that he could hear her.

The male growled at her presence, but was interrupted by the alpha.

" Echo! What is with you!?"

The alpha walked up next to the male, who was referred to as Echo. Echo was slightly startled, yet he never took his eyes off Silver, nor did his ears twitch from their position.

" I hear another wolf."

The alpha shushed the Tynders, and listened intently for what Echo had heard. After a few seconds of no sound, the alpha rolled his eyes at Echo and growled.

" There's nothing there! I'm getting tired of your crap, Echo! Come on, let's get back to the den."

Echo was sure that Silver was there, but believed that he was hearing things as the alpha had said.

Echo believed that if the alpha couldn't hear anything, then nothing was there. Echo took his eyes off Silver, who let out a sigh of huge relief. She rested her head on her front paws and closed her eyes, catching her breath.

Soon, the Tynders walked out of sight, leaving the remaining bones of the caribou on the shore of the pond. Silver made sure the Tynders were far from the carcass before coming out of hiding and trotting up to the bones.

Hardly any meat was on the skeleton. A few strands of meat and cartilage dangled from the bones, and Silver immediately chewed them off.

She ignored the horrid taste of the cartilage as it crunched between her teeth. Taste was the last thing on her mind, filling her stomach the first.

After getting the cartilage down, Silver scraped off any remaining meat that stuck to the bones. Very little came off, but some was better than none. Once Silver picked the carcass clean, she walked off. Her stomach continued to growl, for the less than an ounce of meat found on the carcass was very unfulfilling.

Silver groaned as she made her way back to her den, knowing that the cartilage and strings of meat was the only meal she would get for a while.