~Chapter Thirteen~

~One Week Later~

Silver's leg was almost completely healed and Echo's bruises and cuts were nearly gone. They lay in their den, talking the night away. Echo tilted his head as a conversation starter popped in his head.

" Hey, Silver? Since I told you about my past, what was yours like?"

Silver was silent for a long time. Echo stared into her eyes as his heart sped up. He feared that he shouldn't of asked such a question.

Silver sighed and looked away as she began her story.

" My father died before I was born. I'm guessing that's where I got my silver from, because my mother didn't have it. Once I was born, my mother cared for me until I opened my eyes for the first time. She saw the silver and abandoned me."

Echo's mouth dropped.

" What a cruel mother!"

Silver shrugged her shoulders and looked at him with a frown.

" She cared for me until I no longer needed milk, but once I was weaned she left me. I guess she never knew about my father's silver."

Echo shook his head in frustration.

" What a horrible mother! I'm sorry, Silver. That must've been scarring."

Silver shook her head.

" I don't remember what my mother looked like, I was far too young. It doesn't really hurt because I was never close to her."

Echo looked away as he thought of how close he was to his mother.

Silver smiled softly as Echo made eye contact. They stared at each other, in awkward silence. They were both scared to go on with the subject of their pasts.

Echo broke the silence when he cleared his throat, changing the subject.

" So... um... what's the plan for rescuing the others?"

Silver sighed, relieved that the subject was changed.

" I was thinking that I'll be used as bait for the men and when they catch me, you follow. Then, once I get inside, I'll see if I can talk to some other wolves about our plan to set them free."

" But what am I supposed to do after following?"

Silver looked away in deep thought.

" I don't know."

Echo shook his head and moved closer to her.

" We'll get caught together. I don't want you going in their alone. Besides, there's nothing else I can do. We will both tell the others the plan to rescue them."

Silver agreed, but thought of another problem.

" What about Alpha?"

Echo looked at her with confusion, hearing her change the subject.

" What about him?"

" Echo, we need to save Tynder from their abusive leader. We need to defeat Alpha from his ranking."

Echo shook his head again, thinking that she was crazy.

" Have you seen Alpha's size? He could kill us both in one swipe."

" I know. But what if we get the other silvers together we'll be able to take him down using all of our abilities."

Echo nodded excitedly.

" That could work!"

Silver smiled proudly at her idea, and decided that they wait another week. Echo thought of another subject change and spoke in a soft, affectionate tone.

" Silver? I was... um... hoping that after we save the others and defeat Alpha... that we could start a family."

Silver was caught off guard by Echo's idea. She stared at him with wonder as her heart dropped and picked up quicker beats. Her breathing quickened along with her thoughts. Her wide eyes stared at him with fear.

Echo saw his mistake and shook his head.

" I'm sorry if that seemed rushed. But I love you, Silver. And I want you to be my mate. I want you to be the mother of my pups."

Silver's lips slightly turned up at the corners into a small smile.

" I love you too, Echo. I accept your proposal."

Echo sighed with relief. He smiled happily and nuzzled her before they both settled down for the night, preparing for what was to come the next week.