~Chapter Twenty-Two~

Silver awoke in the middle of the night with a dry mouth. She stood up with a moan and shook her head to focus her colorful vision.

She yawned as she made her way through the den, being careful as to not step on anyone. She hung her head low and walked to the closest pond.

Back in the den, Echo lifted his head, feeling cold fresh air against his side from where Silver was laying. He noticed she was gone, and stood up. Her scent filled his nose. He decided to follow her to make sure she was okay.

Silver knelt down to quench her thirst when leaves crunched behind her.

" Silver?"

She stopped drinking and looked over her shoulder to see Echo standing with concern on his face.

" Are you okay, Silver?"

" Yes, Echo. I just came for some fresh air and water."

Echo smiled gently and walked up to her and sat down. He could tell something was bothering her, he knew her too well to ignore it.

" We don't have to get rid of Alpha, Silver. It'll be fine if we just ignore him."

Silver looked into his eyes and turned away with a sigh.

" But those poor wolves..." She looked at him again," You saw them, Echo. You were part of them. They don't deserve a leader like that."

" But Silver, it's none of our business. We're going to get ourselves hurt. We might be putting the other silver's in danger."

Silver shook her head, now wide awake.

" We already went through this, Echo. I'm not backing out now after all the work we've gone through to get the other silvers."

Echo sighed in frustration.

" What are we even planning to do? Kill Alpha?"

" Do you really think you're going to kill me?"

Silver and Echo jerked their heads to find Alpha standing confidently behind them. Silver immediately grew angry at his sudden presence.

" Speak of the devil! I should've known you were going to show up!"

She took a few steps toward Alpha. Echo stayed still as he watched the tables turn. Silver growled with her ears flat against her head. If she was able to, she would've killed Alpha right there.

Alpha chuckled evilly. The deep laugh shook the trees and roared through the forest. Echo, who had his ability activated, screamed in agony as his ears picked up the harsh sound.

Seconds later, Silver's distance vision noticed Angel quickly running towards them. Silver knew she was much too old to help, and called out.

" Stay back, Angel!!"

Silver watched as Angel continued to run, now reaching them. Alpha turned around to see Angel, an idea forming in his mind.

" Who's this... old she-wolf?"

Angel ignored the piercing gaze of Alpha's black eyes. She stood tall and confident, a little offended by his use of the word 'old.'

" Excuse me, 'Blackie,' but 'elder' is the appropriate word, and I'm Angel, Echo's mother."

Alpha smiled slyly and walked up to her.

" Echo's mother, huh?"

Angel stood as tall as she could, even though Alpha was towering over her.

" Yes I am. Now who are you?"

She showed no fear in her voice. Alpha's eyes pierced into her soul, yet she seemed completely unnerved by it. He proved to be a threat to her, and when he came closer she growled.

He ignored her, and continued his threatening action. She growled with her teeth bared, and from behind Silver, Echo could see how shiny Angel's teeth were. How silver they were.

He gasped as Angel jerked forward and latched onto Alpha's leg with her silver teeth, biting down with unbearable force. Blood began to trail down his forearm as he screamed in deafening agony.

Angel only bit down harder. She buried her sharp, powerful teeth deeper into his skin, causing his screams to get louder. She showed no mercy as the crunch of his bone was muffled by his cries.

By now, Brutus ran up to see the scene, along with many other silvers.

" Angel!"

Brutus' voice made Angel let go of Alpha's leg and turn around. Blood covered her mouth, and her teeth were blood red.

Filled with hatred for Angel and uncontrollable anger, Alpha stood on both of his back legs and towered like a grizzly bear above Angel.

The sun was peeping over a mountain, so a light shadow covered Angel's entire body from Alpha's bearish position.

Angel turned to face Alpha just as his good paw smacked her across the face, sending her flying across the shore of the pond. Echo watched with shock and fear for his mother as he could hear her fragile bones break upon landing.

" Mother!"

Echo's eyes filled with tears as pure rage filled his heart. He glared over at Alpha, who struggled to keep off of his crushed leg. Brutus grew angry too, seeing his mate get smacked by such a cruel wolf.

Alpha felt fear for the first time in his life as he stood between the menacing glances of Silver, Echo, and Brutus. It was that moment that he actually felt guilty. That he actually felt like a victim.

Brutus revealed his Silver Claws and dug lines into the dirt. Alpha noticed them and couldn't help but nervously laugh. He was cowering under Brutus, even though they were the same size.

The other silvers watched silently as Silver nodded her head once as permission for Brutus to finish Alpha off. Silver and Echo ran off to care for Angel. Brutus bit down on the back of Alpha's neck and threw him to the ground.

Alpha stood up like nothing happened. Anger returned to his soul and fueled him to snap on Brutus. He pounced, getting a good bite of Brutus's ear. The Silver Alpha yelped but didn't back down. He reached his claws up and scratched the side of Alpha's face. The black wolf screamed in agony.

Brutus's silver claws had made a deep gash in the side of his face. Blood poured from the wound, making the ground red. It was at that moment that Alpha knew he stood no chance against this wolf, especially with those claws. He collapsed to the ground in defeat. He didn't care anymore.

He realized the power these silver wolves had, and regretted ever messing with them. He knew he didn't deserve to live anymore. He closed his eyes as Brutus lifted his upper body and stomped down on his rib cage, digging his sharp, extra-long silver claws into his lungs.

Brutus lifted once Alpha took his last breath. He looked at his claws, noticing how wonderful it felt to use them. They were covered in dark red blood.

" Brutus!!"

Silver's desperate voice broke his focus on his claws. He jerked his head in her direction and noticed Angel still laying on the ground. He quickly ran up to them, finding tears in Silver and Echo's eyes.

Echo clenched his eyes shut, forcing tears to stream down his cheeks. He spoke with a raspy voice as his heart sunk deeper into his stomach.

" Mother's... dead."