~Chapter Eleven~

This is a rewrite of chapter eleven. Nothing from the original chapter eleven happened. Sorry.

Echo walked through the forest, his ears erect for any sound of any prey. His large paws padded against the green ground, his eyes focusing on the path ahead. He walked with his head low, thinking about his ears and Silver's eyes.

Perhaps... there are more out there.

He sighed as he feared the thought of him and Silver being the last of their kind. The only other silver wolf he could think of was his mother, but she was long gone. Memories of her kidnapping and assumed death filled Echo's mind as he forgot what he was doing.

A scent of blood filled his nose, pulling him out of his thoughts. Echo lifted his head high and sniffed the bloody air. Chills ran down his back as he stopped walking and listened to his surroundings. His ears twitched as he stared ahead, knowing that the scent was coming from beyond.

He cautiously took a step. The blood didn't smell like any herbivorous animal, but rather carnivorous. The scent grew stronger as Echo came closer. His heart nearly stopped when he stumbled upon an unconscious male wolf.

Echo widened his eyes as he choked on his own saliva. He walked around the wolf, observing the reason he was down.

The wolf was black, and about as large as Echo. Scars covered the wolf's lower back, showing that previous attacks had taken place. Echo came back around to the front of the wolf, who laid with his legs outstretched.

Echo noticed a small river of blood running down the side of the wolf's chest. Echo followed the trail up to the wound, and found a large dart stuck in its shoulder. Blood seeped from the needle and trailed it's way down the wolf and onto the ground.

Echo's heart sped up as the horrifying nightmare of his mother's kidnapping filled his mind. The wolf lay in the same position as his mother had. Echo looked at the dart.

Oh no...

Echo's ears faced behind him as a cringing  sound of crunching leaves filled them. Without hesitation, Echo jumped into some nearby bushes and watched as two men came into the clearing with a cage.

One man kneeled down on one leg and looked at the unconscious wolf. The man wore ripped blue jeans, brown boots, and a red plaid shirt. He wore a vest of black and held a cigarette in his mouth. A blonde mustache covered his top lip and his blonde hair was hidden underneath a cowboy hat. He lifted his hand and pulled out the cig, smoke blurring his vision.

" Looks like we caught another silver, Jeremy."

He looked up at the second man with blue eyes. His hat covered half his face in shadow. The second man, referred to as Jeremy, took off his own hat and rubbed his hand through his sweaty dark hair.

Jeremy wore blue jeans, and a camouflage vest over a forest-green T-shirt. His brown eyes stared down at the wolf as he pat the cage.

" I wasn't expecting to find another one. I was sure that when we caught Angel, she was the last one."

The first guy, Elijah, stood up but kept his gaze on the wolf.

" Well, let's get this one to the lab, find out what abilities it has."

Echo watched in wonder as they picked up the wolf and placed him in the cage. They then picked up the carrier and walked off into the forest. Once out of sight, Echo ran back to the den to speak to Silver.

" Silv-!"

Echo tripped over his own legs and slid towards Silver. She stood up and limped over to him, helping him up.

" Echo! Slow down! What's the matter?"

Echo stood up, his breathing hard and his tail wagging quickly.

" Man."

Silver gave him a confused look.

" What?"

Echo looked into her eyes with panic.

" Man is taking others like us away. Like, in captivity."

" How do you know?"

" I came across a darted wolf in the forest. I didn't see any silver on him, but man came and took him away. I watched from bushes and I heard them speak of another wolf like us... Angel."

Silver noticed his pause before he said "Angel."

" Angel?"

Echo looked into Silver's eyes and frowned.

" She's my mother."