~Chapter Twelve~

Silver and Echo sat in silence. They stared at each other, both thinking the same thing. Echo looked away as he tried to keep the tears back. Silver eventually broke the silence with an idea.

" Echo, we have to go free them."

Echo looked up at her and shook his head. He stood up and backed away.

" We can't."

Silver stood up and limped over to nuzzle him.

" What if your mother is still alive? She needs someone to save her."

Echo's breathing quickened.

" But Silver..."

She licked his cheek and looked into his eyes, begging him with hers.

" Even if she's not alive, we can still save the others."

Echo turned away and shook his head stubbornly.

" No, it's not that."

" Then what's keeping you?"

Echo looked at the ground and frowned.

" My mother was the most important person to me. Now... you are."

Silver was taken aback by his confession. She shook her head and looked down at the ground slowly.

" Echo..."

He turned around and nuzzled her.

" Silver, I would rather stay and keep you safe than go out and risk our lives to save others."

Silver wasn't about to back down. She understood where Echo came from, but she couldn't just ignore the fact that other silver's were in captivity.

" I understand, Echo. But it would selfish of us to just sit here and do nothing when we have the chance to free them."

" What chances do we have? The chance to die? Because two wolves like us can't just go in there and save possibly dozens of other wolves. Even if we do, we are sure not escaping unscathed."

" Come on, Echo. It's worth a shot. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. But I can't do it without you."

A tear found its way down Echo's cheek.

" I don't want to lose you."

Silver licked the tear off.

" I know. I don't want to lose you either. But something has to be done."

Echo looked up at her as he tried to find another argument.

" But it's not our business."

Silver, getting annoyed, sighed in irritation.

" Well, it is now. We need a plan."

" I can't believe you're doing this."

" No, we're doing this."

" Silver I don't think-"

"- It's all or nothing. You either come with me or stay and leave me to save them alone. And you are not going to stop me."

Echo stared at her like she was crazy. He could hear the shake in her voice as she struggled to keep her tears back.

" Put yourself in their paws, Echo! If you were in captivity with man, wouldn't you want someone to save you?! We are their last hope!"

She realized that she was in his face, her eyes red with frustration and sorrow. She turned away, sobbing. Echo felt bad and sat behind her, listening to her quiet cries.

" I'm sorry, Echo. I just know what it's like to be a silver wolf and have nobody care. They need someone to free them. Please, Echo."

She turned and faced him, her glossy eyes begging for his approval. He sighed and blinked slowly.

" What's the plan?"

Silver looked at him with a half smile, tears soaking her cheeks.

" Thank you."

Echo nodded and decided that they wait until Silver's leg was fully healed, which might take another two weeks. Silver agreed and laid down, happy that Echo was going to help save the other silvers. The other silvers.