Chapter 9

"Rei, I picked a song for you!" I heard my mothers very cheerful voice ring out, a stark contrast to her earlier, more serious tone. I could hear her running down the hallway as her high heels made contact with the ground. She eventually reached my door, though, and when she did, she looked quite shocked that Barbie boy was sitting and watching videos with me on my bed.

"Oh, my gosh, Rei!! You di-"

"Mom, what song did you pick?" I said monotone, while simultaneously shoving Barbie boy off the bed.

"Rei, don't do that! I wanted to get your picture! You guys look so cute-"

"Mom, the song." I reminded her again, finally getting through to her.

"But you two are fina-"

"Mom."

"Oh, yes. The song I picked for you was Rescue Me. I had a hard time deciding between that and Skyfall but I liked the chorus of Rescue Me better! I think it'll match to your voice perfectly! It will sound so good!" She was practically shaking with excitement for some reason. She's heard me sing many times before, I don't see how now is any different. "Also, I want you to try on the dress in your closet for me." She said with a wink. She needs to start acting more her age...

She was so close to leaving when Dominic poked his head back up from where I shoved him off the bed and she seemed to remember something. "Oh, yes! Before I forget! Dominic, I bought you a suit for tomorrow as well. You can try that on too! Anyway, I'll leave you two alone now! Have fun~!" She finished and slipped out of the door.

"She needs to start acting her damn age... She's 52 for gods sake..." I said, initially to myself, not expecting to get a response, but then remembered Barbie boy was with me.

"She's an interesting character..." He said with a small chuckle.

I then remembered what my mother said at the end of her rant and quickly regained my common sense.

"Out."

"What?"

"Out." I said while kicking him- literally kicking him- out and slamming it shut, locking it in the process. I breathed a sigh of relief and started walking away from the door.

"I thought we were bonding too, Rei." He said through the door, sounding disappointed.

I didn't respond and walked back to my bed and checked the time on my laptop. It was 12am. I sighed again and laid down on my bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"What have I been doing...?" I said to myself before I quickly tried to forget the events of today but overwriting them with my much better dreams.

~

I was at school the next day, Barbie boy following as I walked inside. We got some very peculiar stares as we walked through the halls. Some of envy from other girls, others pure shock from the guys, and then there was Lily who was running up to us with the biggest smile on her face.

Does she have to be so happy, running, yelling, and happy? It's ruining my aura of hatred.

She evidently has all the same classes as me, too, so I'll be with her all day. I have to be happy all day. Great.

~~

We were finally back home and just when I thought I was able to relax, my mother ruined it for me. She reminded me that the open bar night was indeed tonight and that I only had 2 hours to get ready, when I could easily get ready in under 1.

"Yeah, I got it, I'll start getting ready now." I said and began ascending the stairs in front of me.

Once I reached my room, I grabbed a towel and went to the bathroom to take a shower before I got dressed and ready.

~~

I looked at the dress my mother picked for me once more and thought  about why she picked this one out of all of the other options there were. It's less my style than the dress I wore to the auction but it's still okay, I guess.

It was a long, form fitting, blue/purple dress that was just long enough to not touch the floor but it covered my feet. There was one sparkly strap that was also the only strap, stopping at the middle of chest. It flowed outward towards the end, leaving me room to walk, or run if I so choose. The shoes she picked out were silver, very high heels, with straps all around them.

I checked my watch to see what time it was and it was 4pm. We needed to be there an hour earlier than when I was supposed to perform so I had about 20 more minutes to wait downstairs for my mother who will make us wait. Then she'll blame me or my father for making us late.

I walked down the stairs leading to our foyer and saw my father and Barbie boy already down there waiting. My father was dressed up slightly nicer than usual and was obviously trying to use the term 'dress to impress' literally.

He's not the one that really caught my eye, though, because Barbie boy looked even hotter than usual in a suit and it pissed me off. We made eye contact when I got to where they were sitting and his eyes seemed to widen slightly upon seeing me.

"Rei, you look even more beautiful than usual!" My father said, smiling as he looked me over.

"Yeah," I said as I plopped down on the couch next to Barbie boy. "You too, dad." I looked him up and down and smirked, placing my finger under his chin. "You're not so bad yourself, pretty boy." I commented, sliding my finger from under his chin.

"Close your mouth there, son, you'll catch flies." My father whispered to Barbie boy with a small laugh. "Sorry..." He mumbled as he looked down in embarrassment. Even the devil is hot, not just hell.

~~

It was 4:45 before my mother finally got down stairs. We had turned on the TV and were watching, believe it or not, Dora the Explorer. With my occasional comments of "It's right there, you dumbass,"  "What kind of shitty parents let their 5 year old daughter go out by themselves?" and "Why doesn't she wear a shirt that fits?" Gaining a shove from my father every time I cursed, but a laugh from both of the boys beside me nonetheless.

My mother was wearing a simple gold-colored dress, reaching just below her ankles, showing off black heeled shoes. It took her that long just to put that on?

"Are you ready?" We all asked the woman that made us resort to watching Dora the Dumbass Explorer.

"Yes, thank you for waiting." She said before making her way to the front door, motioning for us to follow.

~~

"We are late, why did you all take so long to get ready? We would have been here faster if you weren't doodling around watching TV." My mother said, proving my earlier point of her blaming us.

We had them park our car near the stage where I would be performing so  we wouldn't have to walk far to get back. We walked inside and I was immediately taken to the back of the country club as my parents and Barbie boy were shown to a table near the front.

The entire place was only filled with men in their mid 30s to 60s, with the occasional woman just as old. The bar was open, almost everyone had a drink in hand even if they weren't sitting at the bar. I would be getting weird stares from these old drunken perverts the entire time... Disgusting.

I was actually being shown to where I had to wait by a young, and pretty hot too, staff member. He had blonde hair that was long, but not long enough to cover up his eyes, dark brown eyes that went perfectly with the rest of his face, and was quite the ways taller than me. Considering I'm 5'8", that's pretty tall.

He gave me a smile with perfectly strait and white teeth and a wink, with a simple "Good luck tonight," and left me to have the people in the back tell how everything worked once I went out there. I knew how to work a microphone and what I had to do when I got out there, so they didn't have to talk to me like I was an idiot. I put on the best fake smile I could, though, just grinning and bearing it.

(I hope having multiple updates in one day makes up for my months of absence, for the people who actually like this story.)