Chapter Twelve - KC

Why did everyone have to be taller than me? The monster kid Benji and ma cherie Lilith were even taller than me, and they were a year younger! What gives? That made it hard to corner Benji to give him a haircut. But it went well. He got a shower afterwards, too. Lilly was starstruck, I could tell. Blushing and giggling all over the place. But then she saw me and Jared, and she became suspicious. Those observant little monsters are perfect for each other.

Jared led me to the car. Instead of Lilly's sensible car, we got in the Camaro. "Um, what the heck are you doing? The Zombie-Mobile is thataway. That's your safer bet, even though this ride is by far the cooler one."
"Chill your tacos, my friend. Tonight's special. I'm taking you on a drive to my favorite place in the whole world."

Chill your tacos? What the heck? I decided to just go with it, and with some muttering and grumbling, climbed into the passenger seat of the Camaro.

Jared drove along the streets of New York, the roof of the car folded back. The wind whipped through my hair, smacking Jared in the face. "Control the green beast, KC. The driver cannot be distracted." I took a long piece of wire out of my pocket and proceeded to braid my hair with it. No judging! I was out of hair ties, having given my last one to the monster kid.

We sped onto the Brooklyn Bridge, making a hairpin turn so that we faced west. The sun was setting over the formerly fabulous skyline. It was admittedly the best view ever, with the colors of the sunset shining through the buildings and reflecting off of the windows. 

"So, now what? We're here, alone, staring at the sunset, on the Brooklyn Bridge. Is there like a secret entrance to something here? Or, uh..." I was flustered and excited to be here with him. It was like my first date all over again, the feeling of pure unadulterated bliss. Except without the nervousness of maybe getting food stuck in my braces.

"This is it. I lived here for a while. I said that I was living alone, but I never said where." Jared left me reeling. HOMELESS??? HE WAS HOMELESS? Mon Dieu, I never knew.

"It was like a place to escape from reality for just a bit. I still had my phone and earbuds from before my parents... So I just sat here and listened to my music, looking at the people and everything that happens. It wasn't too bad, I mean, there was always the libraries and shelters that I hung out in sometimes. It's okay. I have a home now. With you."

I slammed the button to turn on the music in the Camaro. "All of Me" again. I suppose that the radio people had just put a constant loop of the same few songs on, so the people who listen to the radio can find some solace... If they're still alive.

Jared looked at me sideways. "May I have this dance?"

"You know the steps now? I'm still leading, right?"

"Yeah. I hope I know the steps. You still lead in case I make a mistake again."

I smiled, nodded, and we exited the car. I tripped over some random rubble (Why is there always rubble everywhere during an apocalypse? I've read some post-apocalyptic books in my time, and there's always rubble. Huh.) and it was Jared's turn to snort.

"Smooth."

"Whatever, you big jerk. Let's dance."

Jared and I danced, and it was even better than the first time. He was not too bad. I mean, I didn't have to kick him in the shins again. I led, but I let him lead the dance after about half the song. A stray zombie stumbled by, but I shot it without losing step. Oh yeah baby... Just like Hawkeye.

The song ended, and in the last light of a beautiful Thursday sunset, I pulled Jared's head toward mine. He leaned towards me, and I jabbed him in the solar plexus, pushed his arm up his back to his shoulder blades, and pushed my pocket knife (with the file out so I wouldn't hurt him) into his Adam's apple. "How was that, honey?" My voice dripped with sarcasm.

Jared yanked my arm back around, and the rest of my body followed around, obviously. If it didn't, then I'd be short one arm, and that's never a good thing. My shooting arm, no less. He pulled me into a hug, and I looked up at him. "You're right. I do need to work on my defensive strategy."

With that, he pushed the back of my head and his mouth met mine. It was a stereotypical storybook kiss scene, but I would make fun of him for that later. Right then, he and I were the only ones that mattered in the world... Or so we thought.