Chapter Forty-Four - KC

I am very sorry for the slow updates. KC is losing her motivation for writing this book, but hopefully, she'll be able to pull through until the end :)

*

I felt like crap for leaving when Lilly felt so distressed. She obviously had her heart in the right place, but I was pretty sure that her brother and dog hadn't been taken by these-- oh wait. This is a kids book. No swearing. I was pretty sure that the dog and the kid had just left as zombies. We weren't going to see them again.

On a similar topic, right now was a bad time to be a claustrophobe. The tunnel we were climbing down was tight and hot, and I didn't like it one bit. Jared didn't either, but for a different reason. He was barely fitting in the tunnel, what with his large frame blocking his way down. It was funny, in a weird way. He was so uncomfortable.

What was that word... Oh! Schadenfreude! That's seeing someone else's pain or suffering as funny and enjoyable, for you noobs out there who don't know obscure German words for some reason. I don't know why I know it, either. But that's kind of what I was feeling right then, seeing Jared all squished up in the tube. It helped me with my quickly growing panic.

"So, now what?" It was Benji, shouting from under my boots. "Do we know where this tunnel goes?"

"No, but I hope that it lets out soon. I don't like small spaces," I grunted through gritted teeth.

We finally saw some light at the end of the tunnel. Literally. Benji said that he could see the end of our shaft under him. Needless to say, the four of us were incredibly relieved at that news. There was a drop from the tunnel to the ground. Benji jumped down with a sighing "oof!" He then declared that the drop wasn't that far and that we could come down.

The jumping down part went without a hitch. Lilith only stumbled a little bit, not knowing the exact distance. When I jumped from the tunnel, I got out of the way, then looked around. It was a garage full of cars. All brand new and shiny.

I saw the exact car as the one I stole so long ago... "Guys? I think we were set up from the start," I said. "Or this could be an incredible coincidence." I then proceeded to point out the car that looked like mine, and with some prompt, they got it. "So they're, like, tracking you?" Jared asked incredulously. "What the heck?"

"Yup, what the heck is right," I said, and left it at that.