Chapter Twenty - KC

(Typed April 9, 2016) I have made some mistakes in the past. First, understand that I am copying and pasting everything on here from a Google Doc. That's where my friend and I make the magic happen. Unfortunately, I accidentally left out a chapter. I believe it was Chapter Nine: Lilith. [Update 6/17/17: this chapter is now Chapter Seven - Lilith] This chapter was crucial to the plot line and I am really sorry I left it out! You can go read it now and understand stuff a little more. Also, Wattpad had been telling me that I had already published Chapter 20: KC, I believe, while in reality it was a completely empty draft. Both chapters are INCREDIBLY important to the story line and CANNOT BE MISSED! Please, please, PLEASE go read up on what you have missed! Again, I am very sorry. But if something doesn't make sense or there seems to be a huge gap in the plot line, PLEASE let me know so I can fix that ASAP! Thanks for reading!

*

The zombie in the back of the car was beginning to break free of the sack. And anyway, Lilith was getting stir-crazy and we needed to do something soon. Her mood swings were flaring up, and she was hurting herself. Benji and Jared saw it, too. She needed to feel loved and cared for, otherwise she might've sacrificed herself to the walkers.

Benji slept over that night. I allowed it to happen because I could tell that they liked each other (eyebrow wiggle) and felt safe around each other. I joked around and tried to make them feel better, but it made Benji feel awkward and unwelcome and Lilith the same.

I didn't sleep. Neither did Jared, because we pulled an all-nighter to figure out how to get to the hospital. I had to punch a few things (not Jared, I promise) because we got NOWHERE and I was scared. Scared for my real family as well as my new one.

When Lilith and Benji stumbled bleary-eyed out of their tent in the morning, Jared and I showed them our absolutely wonderful half-baked plan. Lilith told us some interesting things about the roads we wanted to take. "23rd is covered in some building junk, and Broadway is riddled with zombies," she informed us. "Trust me, I saw on my drives. You can't take them, please don't..."

"Alright, we won't. You're the best shooter, so you are our MVP for defense. You get to ride shotgun," Jared said reassuringly. I gave him a look that said "thank you SO much." Lilith smiled uneasily. "Alright, then who's driving?"

"I'll drive," I volunteered. "NO WAY!" Lilith, Benji, and Jared shouted in unison. "Fine, then. I think I'm a great driver, but if you insist, Jared drives, but only because he's legal." I was sitting at the computer, gesturing with my knife as I speared apple slices and snacked as I researched how to mix chemical antidotes and antibiotics to viruses.

Benji groaned. "I have to sit with the zombie?"

"No, you dolt. The zombie's in the trunk. You and I will have to sit together. Though, I might have to bring the computer. We might not have that much space then."

"That's almost worse."
"Good. The feeling is mutual."

Benji and I laughed, our good-natured insults breaking the serious composure? Atmosphere? What's the word... Hmm...

Anyway, we loaded up the car and headed out to the hospital on 68th. There were more weapons in the Zombie-Mobile than your average hunting section at WalMart. But there were good people. Oh, and Benji. Wipe that look off your face, I'm kidding! Lilly liked him, so he stayed. End of story.

Jared turned on the radio and, obviously, a song was playing. I tried to reach up and change the channel, but Lilith said, "House rules, Sammy. Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole."
"What the heck are you talking about? I'm not in shotgun."

"Whatever. I like this song. And get watching on that show I recommended, you'll understand my references more often!"

"That 'paranormal' one?"

"Yes! Supernatural! That's the rule about music there."

I sat in silence as the song played. Lilith, Jared, and Benji seemed to know the song, but I didn't. Lilith and Benji sang along and Jared hummed, somehow creating perfect chords by just playfully vocalizing in the car. "She's just watching the clouds roll by and they spell her name like Lois Lane. And she smiles, oh the way she smiles..."

Finally, we got the hospital. Not knowing where to park was the least of our problems. Lilly was having a panic attack in the front seat of the car. Jared was talking to her, trying to calm her down. "It's okay, it's okay. You will come out of this, I will come out of this, and so will KC and Benji. You will be absolutely fine."

"Yeah, I know! But what if..." Lilith hyperventilated. "What if we don't?"

"That's in the future." I unbuckled my seatbelt and crawled up to the front. Sitting on Jared, I hugged Lilith and slowly rocked her back and forth. "The future and its possibilities will not affect us. The future is bulletproof."

"The aftermath is secondary. Let's do it now and do it loud!" Benji interrupted.

"Say WHAT now? You. Are. A. KILLJOY?" I asked Benji incredulously. He nodded. "So that's why you were sniggering at my background. You were fangirling. Mon Dieu, why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I don't know. Embarrassed, I guess. Here, Lilith, you'll be okay. You are a strong person and you WILL get out of this. You have my word."

I handed Lilith my phone and earbuds. "Go into my music, and find the playlist that says 'Panic.' No, not the one with the exclamation point. Yes, that one. Listen." My playlist for when I used to have panic attacks, but I wouldn't tell anyone that. She slowly unfolded as the peaceful-ish music filled her ears. After a while, Lilith smiled: a cold, mirthless (OH YEAH. Always wanted to use that word in a story) smile. "Alright. Let's get rid of these zombies."