Chapter Thirty-Eight - KC

My phone died. I was officially doomed. I was listening to music while tailing those mooks and then it just... stopped. It was so quiet in my car, and I had no idea what to do. So my Void came back and whispered sweet nothings in my ear. "What if they're already dead?" It crooned in the back of my head. "They very well could be, you know. You might have to deal with being alone. But you're used to that, aren't you? Now that your radio's gone, I can truly talk to you. Hello again, Karlotta Cerise. Your friends are in trouble, and what can you do for them? Make stupid puns and somehow save the day? You aren't MacGyver. Just stop now."

"ABSO-FLIPPING-LUTELY NOT, YOU ---!" I shook my head, shouting raspily at the voice in my head. It was of my own making, telling me the truths I already knew but just couldn't bear to hear. I cussed myself out for a while, making noise in my otherwise quite silent environment.

I nearly forgot about why I was driving and who I was following, when the car in front of me careened off the freeway exit. I had never really been out of NYC before, so I had absolutely no clue where I was. This was troubling. I had been driving for, what, maybe an hour or two? I was not in the metropolitan area anymore, that was for sure.

There were trees all around, and the road we were driving on wasn't very well taken care of. It bumped and slid over hills. The scenery was rather beautiful. The darkening dusky sky was really cool against the dark hills and trees and other wildlife-y things. I wanted to take a picture, but my phone was dead. Whatever. Phone cameras are rubbish and don't pick up stars, so it was no use trying anyway.

I kept following the other car. It had slowed down because of the road conditions. I was following at a crawl, and was getting bored when something happened. The car in front of me carrying those stupid people turned left. Oh my freaking GAWD, you must be thinking. Sooooooooo exciting. But hey. It kinda was.

I kept following the car-- I just realized that it was a really fancy, new-looking car. How did they get a brand new car after a year of the zombie apocalypse? That's the question, isn't it? I don't know how they got it, but it was pretty sketchy to me. Probably not a big plot point later on in the story, but sketchy nonetheless.

I really have nothing else to say at this point. Mostly because I kinda zoned out because I was so bored. I will let my good friend Lilith take the floor now so I have time to procrastinate on where to resume my story. I truly have no idea what to say... This is now awkward...........................................