Nothing Revolutionary

"Aw poo!" I shot up and looked around. I was in bed, my covers tangled around my legs. Guess I actually did come home...

"Iqra?" Adam waddled his way into my room, peeking at me from behind the door. "You're awake?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Mummy wants you to come and help her fold the clothes."

I groaned. "Fine. I'm coming."

Adam grinned at me and walked away. I sighed as I pushed aside the covers and got up off the bed. My leg got tangled in my pajamas and I fell down. Ugh. Why my life. I sat there for a while, thinking about my cramps. They were gone, at least. For now. I rolled over. When did I become like this. A lazy bum.

I stood up and threw my blankets to the side before going to see what mom wanted.

***********

"Mom."

"Mom."

"Mom?"

"Hmm?"

"Mum?"

"Mommy?"

"Mummy!"

"What, Iqra?"

I pushed aside the clothes I was folding and rested my head on the bed.

"Mum...did you know time travels faster in space than on Earth?"

Mom stared at me.

"Did you know there's a company going to send people to Mars?"

I stretched and rolled over on the floor. Mom stopped what she was doing and sighed. "Why are you asking me this now, Iqra?"

"Because..." I blinked. "I wanna go to Mars."

"I'm sure you'll go to Mars when you're older, honey."

My eyes widened. "Eh? Mom, you're not listening. I don't wanna go later. I wanna go now. I wanna be the first person to step foot on there, like...like...'This is the first step for mankind!'"

She chuckled. "You have the quote wrong, honey. And you're not going to Mars. You won't come back. And I'm not going to lose my children on a different planet." She raised an eyebrow at me. "Go to your room, if you really want to go to a different planet. That place is a mess."

I pouted. "Mummy. I feel bad."
"Why?"

"Because." My face smooshed against the floor. "I hash crampsh toshay."

"Iqra, get up. That's not good for you."

The doorbell rang. I dragged myself up. "I'mma go get it."

"Thank you."

I walked across the living room and opened the door.

Zeenath waved at me. "Yo. Assalam Alaikum."

I made a face. "Walaikum Assalam. You really shouldn't say yo. It's weird."

She shrugged as she walked inside, flipping her straight, black hair. I stared at it with mild envy. Luckie Duckie."I'm just unique. Don't hate." She stuck her tongue out at me.

"I ain't hatin'... Why are you here?"

I followed her inside to the couch, yelling up the stairs to my mom that Zeenath was here.

She set a plate on the table and plopped down on the couch. I followed suit.

"I'm just here because my mother sent food over." She turned to me. "What're you up to?"