Save the Queen...And Maybe Me Too

I scooted over on my branch, gripping the rough bark between my legs to keep me steady as I peered through the leaves. I couldn't see Zeenath anywhere. It'd been five minutes since we'd started the game and I'd lost my leader almost immediately in the chaos that started up as kids took up their swords and ran off with their leaders. Keep Zeenath safe...

The note burned a hole in my pocket. TRAITOR.

.....

"You see anyfink?"

I yelped and lost my grip on the tree, flailing for a few terrifying seconds before finding my balance again. I looked around the tree trunk to see the six year old, staring at me. He grinned at me, the gap in his teeth making him look even younger.

"Hello, Irka."
"It's Iqra," I told him. "And no, I don't see anyone. Where'd you come from?"
He struggled with my name for a bit, finally settling for "Ikra" before motioning towards his shoulder. "Yes. I lost one of my badges to 'em, too."

I raised my eyebrows. "Aye, really?" He hadn't answered my question though.

He nodded seriously. "They're some tough little nuggets."
I held back a laugh, wonder who this boy spent time with to be going around calling kids "nuggets."

I'd been sitting here for a good five minutes, and my butt was starting to hurt. "How 'bout we go find some people to kill, huh?" I winked at the kid.

"Sure thingy, Ikra!" He gave me another gap-toothed grin.

I swung my legs over the branch and jumped off. The ground rushed towards me and I panicked, forgetting how high I was. My right leg struck the ground first, a bolt of pain shooting through my heel up my leg from the impact. I yelped and fell over, landing on my hands and knees. My sword smacked my head on its way down.

Not the best way to land, but I'll take it.

The kid scurried down the tree and was by me within seconds. He squatted down, knitting his eyebrows together. "You okay?"

"Uh.." I blinked and sat back on the grass, shaking out both legs. "Yeah, I think I'm fine, Champ. You good?"
He nodded. "Let's go kill!"
Yeesh. Someone needs to remind this kid it's just a game.

"Erm.." I stood up and picked up my sword. "Y'know..."
"Over there! The Enemy!" He whooped and waved his plastic sword above his head. I turned to follow him, watching as he walked towards a smiling Damian.

Damian crouched down to approach the kid. "Hey, you."

"The Emmeny!" The six year old swung his sword and Damian toppled over backwards, eyes going wide.

"Hey, wait a minute. I can't fight you!"
I grinned. "Then fight me." I swung out my sword, catching the blade of the little kid's with my own. He stopped and looked at me.

"You're taking on the Enemy, Captain?" The kid blinked.

I laughed. "Aye aye. Sure thing. You can help me if I start dying, okay?"
He nodded and ran back to the tree, making his way up within a minute. Oh. He's a squirrel.

The branches parted for two seconds, and Squirrel gave me a salute. I raised a hand and turned back to Damian.

"Aye, you won't back away from fighting a girl, will you?"
"Where's Zeenath?"

"Tch. Don't ignore me!" I raised my sword and swung it towards the badge on his chest. With a yelp, Damian jumped backwards.

"So you're serious on fighting me."
I shrugged. "We have an audience. It would be a shame to disappoint."
His mouth curved up in a smile. "Fine. Have it your way."