If I Had Known

"I knew it! I knew it!"

"Shh! Don't be so loud, Taylor." I looked around. "Someone'll hear you." I ducked my head.

"You're being serious?" Taylor grinned at me, leaning forward.

I hid my face. "Yes. Now can we drop it?"

She giggled. "Of course not! I knew it! You like Yousuf!"
I whipped my head around, making sure no one looked up. "Shh!! Be quiet!" I laughed, a nervous bubbling laugh as my eyes darted around the classroom. Everyone was busy talking to everyone else. My face heated up.

"Is it hot here?" I fanned myself. "Or is it just me? You know what, I'm going to ask the teacher if I can go to the restroom, you know I haven't taken a break to pee since-- Eek!"

Taylor grabbed my wrist and pulled me back into my seat. "You're not going anywhere Iqra. Tell me more." She grinned and widened her eyes, resting her face in her hands.

I jerked my head back, grimacing. "Ew. You look like a creep."

"What do you like about him?"

I bit the inside of my cheek to keep my traitorous mouth from smiling. "Nothing. You know what? I should've never told you." I turned around in my seat.

Taylor grabbed my shoulders and brought her mouth to my ear. "His red, luscious hair....his winning, brilliant smile...his strong, muscular arms..."

I choked and pushed her away. "Ew. You little pervert. He's not that muscular."

"So you have been looking!"

My face burned and I pressed my hands to my cheeks. "No. No. Nonononono. I didn't. I didn't. Ack!" I shook my head until it hurt.

"Didn't do what?"

I jumped in my seat, sending my papers careening to the floor. I slid out of my seat to pick them up.

"I got it, don't worry."

"Uh." I sat back down as Yousuf gathered the last of the papers from the floor and stood up, handing them to me. "Thanks," I said, stacking them all in one pile on the side of my desk.

"What didn't you do?" He smiled, curious. He tilted his head and watched me.

My ears and cheeks burned. "Nothing. I didn't do anything."

Taylor poked me. "She didn't...like Will."

I plastered a smile on my face and turned to look at Taylor, sending death threats with my eyes. "What?"

Yousuf raised an eyebrow. "Who's Will?" His smile grew and he squatted down by my desk, gripping the edge to keep himself steady. "Is it your crush, Iqra?" He wiggled his eyebrows. "Is Iqra crushing on some guy named Will?"

Taylor's jaw dropped and I swatted Yousuf's shoulder. "No. I don't even know anyone named Will. Taylor's being stupid."

Taylor snorted. "I clearly said she didn't like Will."

Yousuf leaned backwards and chuckled. "Really. So who're you crushing on then, Iqra?"

My plastic smile deepened and turned into a laugh. "Pshh. No one."

"You sure? Who's this Will guy?"

I coughed, my face burning. "He doesn't exist! I don't like anyone named Will, okay?"