Chapter 5: Trouble- Already...

"I'm beginning to think that you’re not so great at navigating this..." I teased as we waited outside the restaurant which Clara was dining in. 

"Nonsense. Navigation is easy. This was supposed to happen" he lied.

"Then why is it you always seem to go to the wrong places, wrong era, or, in this case, wrong time?" I asked winking at him. Instead of taking us to the end of Clara's meal he ended up taking us right to the beginning and so we both placed ourselves on a bench reasonably close to the restaurant where Clara was dining. It faced the Thames and so we was blessed with a beautiful display of night-life London.

It was strange how easy it was to talk to someone who I barely even knew. He was nice and friendly but he was still only a stranger, all the previous times I have met him haven’t exactly been the most conversational. I glanced over at him, he didn’t notice, or he didn’t let me know that he had noticed me. Either way his pleasant smile remained on his lips, his eyes glimmered in awe at the view. His laugh lines emerged slightly as he smiled. He really was an enigma, he was truly happy but there was a dark side to him, not evil, but dark. This man had a past, and secrets. Maybe he wasn’t such a nice guy after all. Should I even trust him? I looked away from him and back out to the river. I needed to know more about him.

"I got us here didn't I? I landed on earth at least." He muttered, interrupting my reverie. He looked over at me playfully and then back out at the beauty before us. It was truly magnificent! If you followed the river down you could see the London Eye in the distance glowing like an artificial star. The clouds had retired for the night so for once you could actually see the stars a thousand light-years away from us. The moons reflection shimmered across the rivers water along with an array of different kinds of artificial light from the lamps and buildings. The people of London knew how beautiful this place was and so they decorated it in marvellous buildings of all different shapes and sizes, alluring lights from the streets, houses, buildings and the Eye. And so even in this shade of darkness London could still be viewed in awe.

I couldn’t speak to him now, I had a million questions bubbling inside me waiting to boil and spill over the edges. But they had to remain inside for a bit longer. The Doctor had a dark past and I didn’t want to make him angry and upset. Instead we remained in silence conversing slightly about the view or the world and even other worlds. He told me about some of his adventures with Cyber-men who tried to destroy and change the human’s for a more ‘superior’ upgrade. He told me about the time he was trapped in a Russian submarine with a deathly and threatened Ice Warrior whom nearly wiped out everyone on the sub and the world to go with it. It was truly mesmerising listening to him and although I never asked him about him-self, his stories told me much more.

Eventually it was time to leave and see Clara. We walked side by side towards the restaurant. When Clara came out of the restaurant she did not seem fazed by the splendour that London bestowed at all. I suppose it’s not so magical if you see this kind of stuff every day. Without further notice the three of us walked towards the blue police box. The beautiful blushing Clara with the question lingering in her eyes: why is she here? The quirky Doctor with his bow tie, and me the new stranger on the block. All three of us walked into the Tardis and closed London behind us. We have better places to be...

***

I peered around the open door, the last of the three to step onto this different terrain. At first it felt peculiar. I pressed my feet into the ground. The substance looked very similar to soil in colour and appearance, however, it felt a lot softer, and unstable. I peered down to get a closer inspection of the floor. The Doctor and Clare walked ahead emerged in their own discussion of the place and other conversations which I thought best not to get involved in. Clara didn’t look too impressed and I didn’t want to piss her off any more. My gaze focused back onto the soil-like substance which had a thin layer of clear slime coated over the top surface. I looked back up remembering what the Doctor had told me. How I would assume their language and theirs would seem English to me. He told me how these ‘aliens’ live in completely different eco-systems and need completely different substances to live and thrive. Maybe this is why I wasn’t put off by the look, and smell of the palce.