Chapter 15: Waiting

We needed to go back outside and inspect things further. The Doctor said they were here for a reason and we needed to find out what. We all smiled moving towards the door again. It looks like I have healed just in time for another adventure.

“Are you sure you’re ready for this?” I looked over at Clara surprised. Her face was painted with nothing but concern.

I nodded, yes. Of course I am. How could I not be up for an adventure with the Doctor? I walked towards the door as the excitement built up inside of me. The Doctor was right behind me as I opened the door.

My feet pounded from the door and outside it, I didn’t even have time to register my surroundings before something grabbed the cuff of my collar and hauled me back inside the Tardis. I tried to scream but instead I chocked and coughed as I was strangled. Arms wrapped around me and pulled me back inside.

“What’s going on?” I choked angrily. I could feel the warmth of the Doctor press against my back. It was him that chocked me. I turned around facing him. He didn’t reply. Or look at me, he looked over me, his mouth slack. His eyes wide. He looked hilarious.

“Well?”  I asked again placing my hands on my waist in an aura of dominance. He still didn’t reply, instead he grabbed my arms and swivelled me around to face the door I tried leave just moments ago. Then I realised why. The statue was right in the entrance, right where I was about to leave. It was the same statue. Only it had actually moved. Its head had lifted up, its face still shrouded behind the stone hood. Its arm was the most notable movement. It was not at its side like it was previously. Instead one of them had lifted, it was completely outstretched and reaching towards us.  

I looked back at the Doctor shocked. How did it get there?

“It moved. No one was looking at it so it moved. Too us.” With that the Doctor moved around me and pulled out his sonic screwdriver out. The high pitched sound radiated from it as he scanned the length of the statue.

“We’re in look. If you can call it that.” He Doctor announced placing his screwdriver pack in his inner pocket. “It won’t kill us. It will just send us into a different time zone if it touches you. But I don’t know if I will be able to get you back. So if I were you I wouldn’t let it near you.”

He looked at me and back at the statue immediately. It had moved ever so slightly.

“I’m sorry. I had to blink, why wasn’t any of use watching it with me?” Clara called frustrated.

It had moved into the Tardis, right in front of me. I stepped back into the Doctor who moved us both back deeper into the Tardis.

“Doctor. What do we do?” I said looking at the wearing figure of the stature. Now that I was closer I could see the damage of the acid rain and the slight greenish texture from mould growing on its surface.

“I- I don’t know…” He murmured.

“What do you mean you don’t know?” Clara said looking at the statue.

“We can’t just leave with it here, and we can’t touch it to move it otherwise we will go back into a different time-zone. It’s stuck here.”

I felt the last words of the Doctor press against my mind. It’s stuck here.

I checked my clock habitually. It had been three hours since the Angel entered the Tardis. Two kept watch at a time while the third one slept, ate, went toilet and do other things that sufficed their needs. The Doctor did no such thing. He just remained seated, his eyes boring into the Angel thinking of a plan to get it out of here. Up too now, he had thought of none.

“Doctor?” He didn’t reply. “Doctor?” I tried again. He nodded his head slightly acknowledging my presence. “You need to get some rest. Or do something. Eat. Anything.” He really needed a break from all of this. If he hadn’t thought of a plan yet then he probably wasn’t going to think of one anytime soon. “You might think of an idea while you’re doing something else.” I added after he made no move.

He sighed his eyes furrowing in frustration. “You’re right. I’ll be five minutes,” he said standing up and stretching his body stiffly. He paced around once looking at the statue. “If you need help then shout for me got it?”

“Got it” Clara and I called together. He walked off then and left me and Clara alone together. I paused and waited for his footsteps slowly disappear.

“Do you think he will think of something?” I asked Clara who was sitting beside me.

“Of course he will. He’s the Doctor. He always does.”

My eyes remained focused on the statue so I couldn’t read her face. I could only feel the slight heat pulse from her side.

“Why do you think it’s here?” she asked curiously. I paused considering for a moment.

“I don’t know. Do they usually come with intent? The Doctor said that a lot of statues we see are Weeping Angels. But they don’t move because they are in constant view of the public or camera’s. If it has come for a reason maybe it will leave once it has gotten what it’s after.”

“What do you think it wants?”

“The most powerful living being in the universe of course.” I said looking down the corridor where the Doctor had left.

The room fell silent, the statue remained completely unchanged as our eyes gazed at it. But something in the way it held its posture told me I was right. It was looking for something powerful and it will wait forever to get what it wants.

“We can’t let it have the Doctor,” Clara said determined. She was right, we haven’t been the friendliest towards each other but over the past week we have been talking and have really got to know each other. And this is one of the things we have in common. We have to look after the Doctor. He doesn’t seem to think that he needs help but he does.

I nodded. She couldn’t see me but she didn’t have to look at my face to know that I totally agree with her. We would both risk everything to keep him safe.

“Did you notice that?” Clara said looking around before realising her mistake and focusing back on the dark figure.

I was about to ask what but then I noticed it. The lights, they flickered ever so slightly. Just a little.

“You don’t think that-“ The lights completely blacked out and back on. The whole statue had turned to face us. We both staggered back startled by what had just happened. She didn’t even finish her question before it was confirmed. The Angel was tired of waiting. It wanted results and it wanted them now.

“Doctor,” Clara and I called in unison. The panic had seeped into my body, I could feel the fear leak into my veins.

We both paused and waited for him come. But he didn’t. Maybe he can’t hear us.

“Doctor!” I screeched louder. The lighted began to flicker again, each flash of darkness brought the acid worn, cloak wearing, weeping angel closer towards us. We both stepped back in unison. It was moving towards us.

“Separate,” I called. Clara looked at me worried. “We have no choice. It can’t take the pair of us.” She darted in the opposite direction and I moved parallel to her. The Angel appeared where we had just been standing.

“Doctor help us!” Clara called down the corridor he had walked down ten minutes ago. He said he would be back in five. Where could he be?

The lights flickered again, it turned around.

“What about the Doctor? That’s the one it’s after.” She had a point. I looked over at her desperate. She stood in the way of the corridor. It would have to get through her to get to the Doctor.

“No Clara, don’t!”

The lights flickered again and darkness submerged us.

“No Clara don’t!” It was the Doctor. I saw the ominous green glow of the screwdriver emerge behind Clara.

Light illuminated the room once again. I looked at Clara and the Doctor who were looking at me. No one had their eyes on the Angel. It moved without been seen towards its destination.

Everything went black.