Chapter 17: The Unknown

“You are one extremely lucky girl, Cali. Remember that,” the Doctor announced as we walked back inside the TARDIS. “To wake up in the same time and place. That never happens.”

“What can I say? I couldn’t bear to part with the two of you,” I replied laughing half-heartedly. I knew he was right. I was very lucky. Almost coincidently lucky. I should be dead by now and all of us knew it. And yet here I stand living and breathing.

Why is everything bad happening to me? Well, not all bad things. I met the Doctor. I’ve explored the universe and other galaxies, we’ve been to different planets in different time zones. We’ve seen all sorts of aliens, good and bad throughout time. I have been with the Doctor.

So why do I feel empty inside. Like there is something missing.

“I don’t know about you guys, but I’m not feeling up to Vegas.”

I looked over at Clara completely agreeing with her. The Doctor nodded with a smile.

“Yes, I think we’ve seen quiet enough. Vegas is boring anyway, who wants to go to Vegas. Not when we can go to Saturn!” He gestured his arms out for us to link with him. Of course I didn’t refuse. I intertwined my arm in his as Clara did the same on the other side. Then we all skipped back into the Tardis like nothing had happened at all. Like nothing was going to happen again…

“Clara, why don’t you go and make us some food while Cali and I have a little talk.”

“No problem,” Clara nodded understanding and paced around the controls and left the room with a merrily skip.

I listened as her footsteps echoed in the distance. Then there was nothing but the sound of mine and the Doctors breathing. I glanced over at him curiously.

“What was that about?”

“Look, we need to talk.” He said pacing over to me casually.

“About what exactly?”

“Why everything dangerous seems to follow you. And why there are aliens who seem to recognise you. I thought you were human at first but the more time we spend together the less likely it seems. I trust you Cali, and I trust you to tell me the truth. What are you?”

He placed his hand on my arm comforting me. But I didn’t know what to say. Words formulated in my mind but they would not reach past my lips. Instead I give him a confused look. He waited patiently for me to find my words.

“I- I don’t know what to tell you Doctor. I’m human. I can’t be anything else, look at me.”

I moved my hands down my body showing my human limbs, by human frame, my clothes which I packed from Earth.

He looked at me disappointed. “I understand,” he said a slight smile tugging on the side of his lips.

He moved his arm away from me and stepped back. “I’ll go and see what Clara is making for dinner.”

I watched stride past me and leave the room behind. I stood there shocked. Does he not believe me? What else am I supposed to tell him besides the truth?

The anger lurked inside me bubbling slowly in my veins. I needed to calm down. I pivoted on my feet and walked away from the dark control room, down a different corridor the Doctor walked down.

I navigated my way randomly, growing more and more lost with every turn I made. Hadn’t I been past this painting three times already? It was the work of Van Gogh. My anger simmered and fear seeped in. How was I supposed to make it back to the control room? The fear subsided. At least I was in the Tardis where the Doctor could find me.