First Day Of Senior Year

Tobias' POV

Waking up was harder than expected.

Knowing I was only a few moments away from seeing Michelle, scared me. She was always my first thought in the morning, even if she was laying right beside me. Even if I had the nastiest breath ever, she would still kiss me with a smile, and that's when I believed; this is what love felt like.

And it did. I loved her.

But waking up to my alarm instead of her good morning text or her kisses was different; has been for the past month. It was better during the summer because I could just stay home and be certain, I won't bump into her or see her beautiful face, But in school it was different. I could see her in all my classes, or maybe just one....

But, hopefully none.

Rubbing my eyes and letting out a morning sigh, I immediately closed my mouth once my nose suffered the smell of my morning breath. I made my way to the bathroom and did my business before brushing my teeth. Once I finished and the nasty breath was gone, I went back to my room and checked my phone, that was now fully charged and that also had a couple of text messages from a group chat I was in, with some of my closest friends.

Thinking about it now, I can only find one good thing about going back to school, and that's my friends.

I went across my room to the bathroom and managed to take a five minute shower, but after the realization hit, I ran across the hallway faster than my body could manage in my birthday suit since sleepy me forgot my towel in my room.

Thankfully everyones rooms were down the hall.

After rummaging through my stuffed drawers and cluttered closet, I found a pretty good outfit. Black jeans, white v neck, and Nike shoes. I threw on my Nike jacket and grabbed my back pack that thankfully had all my school supplies, thanks to my mother.

I grabbed my phone as well as my headphones and ran downstairs. The bus was going to be here in 15 mins and I still needed to grab something to eat. Once I got downstairs, my mom was already dressed in her uniform drinking coffee.

She worked at a desk in a clinic. It was a basic job she wasted hours of the day doing-- yet it still paid well.

"Good Morning"

"Morning," I mumbled, still half asleep while trying to grab a box of cereal from on top of the fridge. After struggling to grab a bowl, i grabbed the milk. I poured the milk first which I knew not many did, yet I always felt accustomed to doing.

"Thanks for taking Rocky out last night," the sarcasm in my mothers voice was clear as day and I realized once again, that I had forgotten another simple task. I stopped pouring the milk and turned around slowly. She stood there, leaning on one of her elbows while sipping her coffee with the other.

"I'm so sorry, I forgot...." And it was true. My mind was so caught up with Michelle that I was forgetting my responsibilities. I'm pretty sure my mom could tell something was up because her response didn't scream anger, but more of understanding.

"Well. You're lucky I was actually up a little late last night. Just don't let it happen again." She said as I grabbed a spoon from one of the drawers.

"I promise I won't. But, why were you up late?" I asked before eating a spoon full of my favorite cereal.

"Grandma called. She wanted to check up to see if we had space in the house for her when she comes down for Tracy's birthday."

"Oh yeah, the little parties this Saturday right? Where's Tracy now?"

"She's still sleeping. She has an hour left before she has to get up for school." She said before taking a sip of her coffee. After a couple minutes of silence, she spoke again, "My baby girls turning six. Ah, she's going up."