Humiliation

Tobias' POV

Ethan left after a couple more rounds of playing video games. I will say, I got a couple victories but in the end, he wore the crown. Now, I'm just laying in bed, watching tv; the smell of food taking over the house. I had been alone for a while now and once my family came home about an hour ago, my mother began dinner.

After the weirdly quiet dinner, I thanked mother for the food and said good night to everyone before taking a long and needed shower, before laying in my bed in silence. After a while, I could hear everyone shut their doors and I could feel everyone fast asleep in their beds while I just laid there, waiting for sleep to take over.

But it didn't.

Ethan's probably asleep right now.

Ugh! Of course he finds his way into my mind around this time of night. Maybe I should text him, see if he's up. Eh, but what if he isn't and I'm just getting my hopes up. Fuck it, I'll do it.

T: hey u up?

All I could do was stare at the screen, hoping to see three dots appear. I think I was going crazy in those few seconds, just waiting. Finally, when they appeared, it's like I could feel my heart jump just a little, like a little school girl.

E: go to sleep Toby

For some reason, that made a playful smile creep up on my face.

T: make me ;)

I have no idea what I was trying to do but it was making my heart speed up, the longer it took him to reply. My mind just kept racing with all the playful replies he would send back, till he finally replied.

E: I don't think I can. I'm all the way in my house so technically I would have to go all the way over there and right now, my bed is really comfy.

Not the reply I was expecting. It was so unexpected, that small laughter erupted from me at the idea that Ethan could possibly be flirtatious through text. But this is Ethan we're talking about. The innocent, kind, quiet, cute, intelligent, gosh I could go on and on.

T: you're right. goodnight Ethan

E: goodnight Toby

With just the thought of Ethan on my mind, I went to sleep faster than you can spell out his name.

+

Waking up for school in the morning was not pleasant.

Linda left early last night, Bryan and I  exchanging little words. I was silent most of the time at the table, just worried about going back to my room and getting ready for school. I don't know why I was so eager to go today, but something in me just was.

On the bus, I sat across from Alice and Brandon again. It became a daily thing to sit next to them. I laid my head back and put my headphones in, not really in the mood to talk. I noticed Michelle was a seat right in front of Brandon and Alice. Weird. She usually sits farther.

I waited for the bus to empty out and saw Michelle waiting too. She was wearing leggings and a loose shirt with Sperrys. Her hair was curled and laid perfectly on her back. She looked pretty.

I realized I was now the only one in the back seat, so I got up and walked to the front, waving bye to the bus driver and walking down the stairs. Everyone was crowded around the front of the school, talking to their friends, waiting for the doors to open. I looked around until I saw Dylan and Cameron, then walked up to them.

"Hey, guys."

"Hey . . . Did you hear about that freshman's party happening this weekend?" Cameron asked.

"Since when do we go to freshman parties?"

"Since there's going to be free booze and if you haven't noticed, this years freshman class is hot."

"You disgust me." Dylan said, with his face looking both disgusted and disappointed at his friend.

"Yeah, I don't know about this one." I mean, this weekend, I kinda wanted to spend it with Ethan. He doesn't know it yet, then again the idea just popped up into my head. But I wanted it to be fantastic. I've never really been one for romantic things since a movie and pizza was good enough for me but with Ethan, it's like he brought out the romantic in me.

"Dude, are you blushing?" Dylan asked rather loudly. It would be like my friends to point out something the minute they see me. It can be a new haircut or new pairs of shoes . . . Now it's my blush.

"No?" I said rather unconvincing.

"Hold on! You totally were. Like a little girl." Cameron's now bent over laughing while my blush is getting deeper, only it's not because of Ethan anymore, it's because I'm embarrassed.

"I know you weren't blushing about no freshman party, so spill. Who's the girl?" Dylan was full on staring at me with anticipation.

"There's no girl." I said truthfully. It was a boy. Only, I wasn't ready to tell them yet.

"What?" Cameron is still laughing about the blush thing, " are you rooting for the other team now? Is Tobias gay?" He teased.

Suddenly Cameron starts tickling me while chanting 'Tobias likes boys, Tobias likes boys." Everyone's attention was focusing on us now, and I didn't like it, it was humiliating.  I didn't know what to do other than say the exact opposite.

"I'm not fucking gay! I don't like boys." I shoved Cameron off me in complete frustration. In that moment, everything was silent but quickly, everyone went back to their business as if nothing ever happened.

Except there was one person still staring,

Ethan.

_____
A/N

Not my best but it's leading up to the big stuff, I promise.

And guys, by the time this chapter is posted, we will have reached 100k reads which is the most reads I've ever gotten in a book. This is like very emotional for me.

I know from here on out all we're going to be doing is growing, together and I think that's the most exciting part.