Work

"Melissa," Gretchen called, "do you mind staying extra tonight, cuz we have a large group coming in?"
"Yeah sure, let me call my parents and let them know."
"Ok, and I wanted to ask you if you've seen Roman or Joelle lately?"
"No, I just can't. I can't be around him."
"Sweetie, he loves you. I haven't seen him this much in love since Galina."
"I just can't."
"Well then I won't tell you, that he's been staring at you for the last 15 minutes."
I turned spotting Roman, who of course just had to sit at one of the tables I was waiting on. Hope and my parents were at the same table. I felt anger course through my body, how dare he sit with my daughter without my permission. I started to walk over when Gretchen grabbed my arm, "I'd calm down if I were you. He didn't know they were going to be here, and Hope begged to sit with him."
I nodded, taking a deep breath, and walked over, attempting to ignore Roman. "Hi Babygirl."
"Hi, momma. Look who we sit with."
"I see," purposely avoiding Romans eyes. As I took everyone's order, I deliberately ignored Roman, as I started to walk away, Roman said, "I think you forgot someone."
"No, I don't think so."
He stood, and stalked over to me, grabbing my hand, and pulling me into the back.
"Please talk to me, I can't stand you ignoring me. I love you."
"I know, it's just, I can't stop thinking about Robert."
Romans thumb touched my cheek. "I'm not asking you to let go, I just want to know if there's a chance for us."
I looked up at him, "Ro..."
"MOMMA HELP!!!"
Roman ran out before me to see chaos guns firing, Hope and Joelle being held by a rogue Unknown. I stopped my wolf howling in anger, I charged, Roman grabbing me by the waist. "Let go," I screamed.
Roman pushed me back yelling to Seth and Dean, "Get her out of here."
As they pulled me out the door, I heard screaming, the tears started to flow, fuming, I said, "How could he not let me help, that's my daughter in there? She's scared to death."
"Roman will do anything to protect them both, just calm down."
"Don't tell me to calm down," I said pacing. I couldn't believe Roman pushed me out of there, not allowing me to help him. If he says he loved me then pushes me away when I'm trying to protect my only daughter, then he doesn't love me, because he would understand my need to protect her.

What seemed like an eternity later, Roman emerged from the restaurant with Hope and Joelle in his arms. I ran forward, grabbing Hope from him. Burying her face into my chest, crying, "Momma." The tears flowing down my face, my parents took Hope from me, hugging her as well. Joelle went with Sika and Lisa. I walked over to Roman and said, "Don't ever do that again, she's my daughter and I will not allow you to push me out like you did. She's my world."
"And you, Hope, and Joelle are mine."
"Stay away from us." I said turning away, he grabbed my arm, spinning me around, pressing his mouth to mine, I pushed him away, slapping him. He growled, but let me go.

Romans POV
Her slap stung, I know she wanted to stay in there, but she couldn't know who that man was that held our daughters, I have to protect them, even if she doesn't want me to. I couldn't let her go. I smiled sadly as I thought about the kiss, she wanted it as much as I did, but she was too angry with me. She's making me hard just thinking about her protectiveness.
"Roman," Dean said, "look I know you meant well about that, but maybe it's time you started to trust her. I know we haven't really tested her abilities yet, but come on, that was her daughter in there."
"We will not be testing her further."
"She needs her space from you, you are constantly pressuring her. She's told you she's not ready,"Seth said.
"He's right son, give her time. After tonight, it's going to take a lot for her to forgive you, she's had it rough. There's more to what happened between her and Robert than even you know. More than what even her parents know."
"Pops what are you saying?"
"When she was with him, did you ever think that maybe, she and he were mated completely? And with his appearance tonight, it could be why she resists you."
"You think the mating ritual was never severed because she still loves him and because of Hope? You think it can be undone?"
"The mating ritual as legend goes, can only be undone either by death, betrayal, or the One finally appearing. If it is the One, love, family, and protection would have to be proven to whomever she is. You my son have experienced death, but if he truly didn't die, that would mean the mating ritual hadn't ended for them. He still has a deep hold on her."
"That would explain what she said earlier to me. She still hasn't given up on him."

The next day

I stood outside her parents home, clutching a single white rose in my hand. Knocking on the door, I waited, seeing the door open, I was greeted by her mother and Hope, "Roman, hi, " Hope squealed in delight, "Momma, he's here." I heard an audible groan as she came into view. Her hair pulled up into a messy bun, a pair of sweatpants and a tight hugging tank top with the restaurant logo. "Hello, Melissa."
"What do you want?"
"To apologize for being an ass to you yesterday."
She scoffed, turning and walking away. "And there's something I need to tell you about yesterday."
She looked back nodded, I followed her into what appeared to be her room.
"What do you need to tell me?"
"The man who held Hope and Joelle last night, that was the rogue Unknown, who attempted to kill Joelle, whom also is Hopes father. When you went outside, he said to me, that he came back for Hope, that I could keep you, but Hope was completely his. I couldn't let him take her from you, as I went to kill him, he said, 'soon you will know what it's like to lose everything you hold close.'"